skydude2000

Cerebral Palsy

Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone out there who pulls left-handed? I've been jumping with Cerebral Palsy for almost 3 years, and I'm not comfortable pulling right handed. Is there another way to jump without buying my own gear and having it customized?

Blue Skies,

Adam G.
PULL!! or DIE!!

Talk to your rigger. It's pretty easy to get the BOC moved to the other side.

I had pull out years a go and hurt my sholder so I had my rig set up so that I could pack it for either a right or left pull.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Is there another way to jump without buying my own gear and having it customized?

I think you'll have to buy your own rig to be able to jump something that is set up for a left handed pull. It's a doable modification on a used container, and most container manufacturers will work with you to set up a new rig that way.

You can also get a container set up with an SOS system (one handle pull performs both cutaway and reserve deployment) if cutting away with your right hand is an issue.

You can also get a container set up with an SOS system (one handle pull performs both cutaway and reserve deployment) if cutting away with your right hand is an issue. ***

mx757, who posts on here, is an amputee (missing left hand and forearm) and has rigs equipped with the SOS system. It's one option to be considered.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you get the chance, ask Dave to tell you the story about jumping in FL with his left hand pull and how a "young" jumpmaster reacted to his freefall and pull.
Great story
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

My husband also has CP and jumps a left-handed rig. Pretty much any manufacturer will build you one if you ask (there are a bunch of people I know that pull left-handed for various reasons). He's had good experiences with Mirage. If you don't want to buy new, any normal rig can be switched over by changing the pilot chute pouch - just see your local rigger. Once you do it - don't forget to route your bridle out the LEFT side of the container when closing your pack job. Also, be wary of letting anyone jump your rig that doesn't normally pull left-handed - they're asking for a low pull due to brain lock when instinct makes them reach right.

My husband chose not to use an SOS system after a couple hundred jumps on one (he jumps a camera so SOS wasn't a great idea anymore) - but he did get a cutaway soft loop rather than a pillow to make for an easier cutaway since he cuts away with his left hand also. He has, however, jumped pillows in the past and has successfully cutaway - but his thoughts were that if he lost use of his left hand for some reason, the loop would be an easier & quicker pull by his less-functional right hand than a pillow would. Just a thought to consider if you choose not to use an SOS system (which is not necessarily bad, just wasn't right for my husband).