wildernessmedic

Skyhook, stow bands, and PC questions.

My new rig doesn't have an RSL. I've poked around and it looks like the skyhook is much better than a regular RSL (?). Should I invest the cost in that, or just get a regular RSL until I can get a skyhook (have nothing now).

Also, I have a PD Specter 190. Do I need to buy both large and small bands or can I just use large? Is there a big difference?

My PC is pretty dingy and beat up. Should I buy a new one or leave it alone? If I get one how hard/expensive is it to have then switched out?

What is the rig? Retrofitting a Skyhook to one is often not possible. Retrofitting an RSL can be done, but (depending on a few things) it is a task for a Master Rigger/Manufacturer.

You can just use large stow bands. You will most likely be double wrapping the non-locking ones.

Switching out a P/C is a 5 minute task.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

What is the rig? Retrofitting a Skyhook to one is often not possible. Retrofitting an RSL can be done, but (depending on a few things) it is a task for a Master Rigger/Manufacturer.

You can just use large stow bands. You will most likely be double wrapping the non-locking ones.

Switching out a P/C is a 5 minute task.

Cool thanks I might get a new one if it's a simple swap out.

Bummer the RSL is a job for a master rigger. Vector container.

In regard to RSL or no RSL, there is a good article on the bottom of the DZ.com home page about RSL myths. RSL vs SkyHook is out of my league. There are good arguments going both ways on that one.

As for line stows, PD recommends using large rubber bands and double wrapping them (on all stows, to include locking). Everyone does it differently though. Some use a combo of large and small and some use tube stows, and everybody's is the " best" way. Whatever way you go with, it should take 8-12 pounds of force to release the lines. You can experiment with a fish scale to see which method gives you the desired results.

A new PC with hacky handle and full kill line bridle should be able to be purchased and changed out for about $200 or less. It would be routine work for your local rigger.

This morning I read a thread about re-lining a main and whether a Senior Rigger could do it or a Master Rigger had to do it. A lot of Master Riggers were quoting the same FARs but offering different interpretations of them. Everything from "must be a master" to "Seniors are qualified" to "since it is a main, no certification is required as long as the person who does it is the next person jumping it". I would say, if someone hasn't shown you how to do it, don't try to do it yourself.

wildernessmedic

Ok so then I can't swap out a new pilot chute I need a rigger to do it.

I think it falls under "assembly" and should be done by a rigger. Opinions on that sort of thing go all over the place.

Again, it's a 5 minute job. If someone asked me to do it, I'd be happy to do it for a "thank you."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

And you have two options for an RSL. Factory retrofit that will need a new ripcord with an eye fitting on the end, maybe a new housing, and modified riser. Vector's rsl is different than most. Reserve pin is sewn to the lanyard. Look at manual for drawing. Call UPT for the price.

OR Ray Farrel at Action Air has an FAA field approval for a 'normal' rsl retrofit that Booth doesn't approve of but I like better for a number of reasons.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

And you have two options for an RSL. Factory retrofit that will need a new ripcord with an eye fitting on the end, maybe a new housing, and modified riser. Vector's rsl is different than most. Reserve pin is sewn to the lanyard. Look at manual for drawing. Call UPT for the price.

OR Ray Farrel at Action Air has an FAA field approval for a 'normal' rsl retrofit that Booth doesn't approve of but I like better for a number of reasons.

Sweet. I'll check it out at action air once I'm done with all these fires around here.