jdewey95

Over-glasses Goggles

Are you able to correct your vision with contacts?

I started jumping with over the glasses goggles, and there may be better ones, but the ones I had were not very streamlined. I thought I would exercise my freedom of an A license by doing a jump sans helmet. Just me the goggles, and the air (and rig of course). That was an expensive jump when the goggles caught air and took off!

In the end I found contacts to be a much better solution on jumping days.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I wear the big kroops "Dork Goggles." I have 'aviator' glasses and no interest in contacts.

They work pretty well. But look pretty dorky.
They are not super aerodynamic, and need to be tight to keep from flipping up. I replace the elastic every year.

I've been pondering some Gatorz or Liquid with the prescription inserts, but haven't gotten the motivation to spend the money on them yet.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

jdewey95

Sweet, just ordered the tinted ones. Thanks for the link.

You may want to consider a clear pair for lower light situations. Before I switched to a full-face helmet, I would wear amber tinted goggles and found that they were not so good at sunset load or on cloudy-but-jumpable days. (Edit to add if you call ChutingStar quickly I'm willing to bet they can modify your order to get both pair in so you don't have to pay shipping twice).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

jdewey95

Yeah i've had contacts for a long time, but they don't hold up too well in the wind. I'd rather be mildly uncomfortable with the glasses than end up landing blind :/

Never lost a contact in almost 2k jumps. About 1k of those are jumps as a tandem instructor without a helmet to help hold goggles on.

Full faces, or the sorz style goggles almost entirely eliminate the chance of that.

Still more likely to lose the glasses if you get bumped, or if they aren't on tight.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

jdewey95

Yeah i've had contacts for a long time, but they don't hold up too well in the wind. I'd rather be mildly uncomfortable with the glasses than end up landing blind :/

My eyes don't really agree with contacts, so after beginning in the sport with contacts, I went to OTG goggles until I got my licence, then I bit the bullet and ordered me a Bonehead Rev2 full-face. I'm extremely happy that I did and can absolutely recommend it. It's more comfortable than conventional full-face or open face, as it removes all the fiddling with the goggles when it's time to gear up at altitude. Just put it on, then pull the faceplate down before climbing out.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

You could try what I've been doing for 2000 jumps. I wear my prescription glasses secured with a tight strap. That's all the eye protection I've used for years. In my first year I used over glasses goggles, but I didn't like that I could never keep them clean and clear. So I went with just the glasses and found it did not bother my eyes at all. I've never once jumped with a full face helmet jumping, I don't like the way they feel. I may be the only one doing this. People keep trying to tell me how bad it is not to wear goggles. They just shake their heads thinking about it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

There are people who don't wear prescription glasses and use no goggles, so I can totally imagine that. I've been meaning to try some jumps without flipping my visor down, but so far I've always found the blast annoying enough that I did anyway. Personally I'm really happy about a fullface, but not everyone is and I know people who went back to using open face because they don't like the lack of wind feeling.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."