aguila

broken lines picture

Thanks for posting it Gonzalo and I wish your friend a speedy recovery.

I also wonder if worrying less about framing a shot and more about really looking at the equipment might have resulted in a better decision. I remember going through a stage where I thought I would know if there is a problem by the way the canopy "felt". Watching a friend land a lineover without knowing it until it collapsed on flare changed my mind. I always take a moment to actually look at line attachments, etc and do a practice flare while looking at the canopy now. It doesn't take very long really, and I do it after verifying there is no traffic near me and I am heading in the right direction.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Thanks for posting it Gonzalo and I wish your friend a speedy recovery.

I also wonder if worrying less about framing a shot and more about really looking at the equipment might have resulted in a better decision. I remember going through a stage where I thought I would know if there is a problem by the way the canopy "felt". Watching a friend land a lineover without knowing it until it collapsed on flare changed my mind. I always take a moment to actually look at line attachments, etc and do a practice flare while looking at the canopy now. It doesn't take very long really, and I do it after verifying there is no traffic near me and I am heading in the right direction.

Thank you Robin!

You are right. Sometimes it is easy we assume everything is all right just because our canopies open and fly.

My 2 cents: Skydiving requires mental agility and people should not forget their mental rehearsal when they stop jumping so that they do not miss important steps when they return to the sport.

Blue skies!
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

So now, if it's broken, I chop. I know jumpers land broken lines sometimes, and I got away with it once. I just choose not to anymore.

Broken C or D lines might be okay to land. ...Again, at least for me, ANY broken A's and she's gone! No hesitation, no testing/playing with it, no second thoughts.

The problem with A line breakage is what it could do to entire canopy pressurization/inflation as the other remaining pressurized cells now try to accelerate "around" it. Nasty visions of sudden canopy fold-in, collapse, or heck even relatively significant sudden and unpredictable buffetting can, and most likely during flight will occur with A-line breakage. Even if it can fly up high, it is what it does and what happens to you when you get close to the ground with it that is the real problem. ...Solution? Don't take A-line breakage down there to find out. That one is a malfunction. - Chop it.

Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I agree completely. Broken A lines - chop ! Seen some hard landings from not following that rule. But broken D lines? I once did an entire 4-way CRW jump from 14k without realizing I had a broken D line! It didn't affect the flight at all, and it wasn't until I was para-hiking back and noticed something dragging behind me that i realized I even had an issue!

W

looks like 2-a's 2-b's =4 lines out= chop.

the thing is not eeeven square.

how many broken lines do you consider acceptable??

good time to be takin pictures, I recon!!!!!

I've been taught:
broken brake line -> you can land it
any other line broken -> you chop.
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

Dave, Thanks! The one with the hole in the main is good, and I already had a good line-twist photo; some of the others are hard to tell what's wrong. But thank you. Please do update when you can; it's such a help in doing drills!

Thanks, too, for all you do with your website. It's great.
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

I learned one thing.

Any lines broken -> Chop!

It may fly well and without a problem. But something can happen or change without notice when youre too low to use your reserve.

If I find anything broken over my head, its outta there and up with the next one. If youre in doubt, youre not in doubt ! ;)
A skydiver's famous last words:
- Hey! Hold my beer, and watch this...!
- If that guy can do it, so can I...!
- In 9 out of 10 this will work out just fine. Don't worry about it...!