Chris-Ottawa

L&B Audible Quality Improvements? Case cracking again...

So, I love my Optima, but it's already been replaced by L&B once and the replacement is starting to crack again (top of screen, like most I've seen). I keep the Optima in my Z1 helmet 100% of the time, and as a result it is padded on one side and covered in fleece on the other. I even kept the rubber case on it this time as L&B recommended this when it was replaced. There's no way that I'm abusing it, especially given how comfy it's home is. I don't want to bother L&B for another free replacement because I don't want to be a mooch (and because I totally botched my attempt to glue the case back together when tape wasn't working anymore), but I do want another one since I'm really happy with the product.

Does anyone know if the plastic casing quality has been improved in the last few years? I thought I saw a rugged wrist mount alti from L&B, but do they have a rugged audible? Does anyone?

If not, what else does everyone use as an audible? I really desire something like the Optima as I can configure the 3 alerts to my preference (Solo would work, but I prefer customizable) and similar price point would be ideal.

Thanks!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

have had my optima for 7 years and haven't had a single problem with it. You may want to check your setup again double check there is no pressure being placed on it. Is it possible something has hit it through the audible window on your helmet? I used a Z1 as well with mine and have never had a crack. Perhaps you have just had really bad luck with yours.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Thanks.

So, my Z1 doesn't have an audible port, it's tucked away inside the helmet ear pouch. I've tried to see if there was anything poking out, but I can't find anything. The only thing I can think of is that it rubs against my ear lightly when I put it on or take it off and doing that repeatedly (moving around) may just be enough to start the crack.. My helmet is fairly loose, so I can't imagine it's pressure and it really doesn't move around all that much.

I guess mounting it on the outside would prevent the constant movement, but then it has to deal with moisture, rapid temperature changes and abuse from the outside. A certain mode of failure.

Hopefully there's something more rugged out there. If I could get an Optima with an aluminum case...I'd be golden. Anyone own a CNC or a 3D printer and interested in some commission work? haha.
"When once you have tasted flight..."