keithbar

container modification. thought's ?

I read a lot about people having a harness resized to suit them . and that that's entirely doable and not cost prohibitive . but I wonder if it would even be possible . or cost effective to send a container back to a manufacturer that's older with Velcro riser protection and have them modify it with new riser covers with tuck tabs . has that ever been done? or is it even doable? I know :S
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Locally it is pretty common for old containers to be upgraded to tuck tabs, or easier to build, magnets. But I'm not in FAA-land so TSO's aren't a worry. And the results may not be as bombproof for freefly as more carefully tested gear is. Whether a manufacturer would throw something together, for a rig that probably won't match their current patterns, I'm not so sure. Your question still stands.

Contact the mfgr first.
There is no single answer that can apply to all rigs.
I always go to the mfgr *first* so I know the job:
1. Is done correctly.
2. Is done legally.
3. Will not degrade the resale value.

Heck, I've even gotten rigs back where other things were fixed at no additional charge, e.g. velcro replaced.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

thanks guys I was just wondering if anybody had done this or at least seen this done it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I read a lot about people having a harness resized to suit them . and that that's entirely doable and not cost prohibitive . but I wonder if it would even be possible . or cost effective to send a container back to a manufacturer that's older with Velcro riser protection and have them modify it with new riser covers with tuck tabs . has that ever been done? or is it even doable? I know

Keith,
It has been done.
We have installed tuck tabs on Vector I's, II's, Racers, etc.

Also, it is legal as the manufacturers have made these same changes themselves as a minor change to an existing TSO. This means no field approval is needed, just that a master rigger must do the work.

What type of rig are you thinking of changing?

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

masterrigger1

MEL a talon 1 from the late 80's

It can be done...

MEL

.......................................................................................

It can be done, but tolerances on tuck tabs are so tight that it rarely fits properly without factory patterns. Tolerances on tuck tabs can be as tight as 1/8 inch.
If that Talon 1 landed in my shop, I would replace the Velcro with magnets. Magnets work the same as Velcro and work well with the same huge tolerances as Velcro.

It can be done, but tolerances on tuck tabs are so tight that it rarely fits properly without factory patterns. Tolerances on tuck tabs can be as tight as 1/8 inch.
If that Talon 1 landed in my shop, I would replace the Velcro with magnets. Magnets work the same as Velcro and work well with the same huge tolerances as Velcro.

Rob,
How and what you make tuck tabs out of dictates the tolerance factor.

I have never had any issues with making them, maybe someone else has had issues,

MEL

Cost-prohibitive is the key issue here. Does it make more sense to start with a $500 container than add $500 modifications to a free container?
Assuming that the 1980's container is in very good condition to begin with...

Well it just depends. Cost- prohibitive might just mean the guy cannot afford a new $3,800 container either...just saying.

If you have a $500 container and add $500 worth of work to it, it might be a better rig than the $1500 one that is currently available that is considered later and greater.
It is all economics.

MEL