grue

Dynamics of canopy opening vs packing techniques

Is there a general consensus (in this sport? Not likely, I'm sure) on the effects of various packing techniques as they pertain to the stages of canopy deployment?

I ask because I've found that the way I pack my main (a Fusion) results in low initial tug to stand me up, and then a firm, consistent deceleration (total deployment is about 700')

I recently used a packer for the first time in many years for my last half-dozen jumps, and noticed that his pack jobs have substantially higher initial tug, and then the rest of the opening is quite a bit slower, taking 1000' or more.

I meant to watch him do a packjob on Saturday but had to take off a bit early, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

My completely in the dark theory is that he's rolling the tail less than I do, but rolling the nose more (I don't roll it at all), but since I don't typically watch my openings I can't say for sure.

Plausible?
cavete terrae.

Rolling the tail is great to help control it while you get it in the bag but doesn't affect the opening. Rolling the nose has some effect on how quickly the canopy inflates because the air goes into the nose. Rolling the outer cells toward the center and then opening the center across the outer cells is supposed to allow the center cell to inflate and slow the inflation of the halves of the canopy as they unroll by pushing against them.

I suspect it's more likely the packer pushed the nose into the packjob prior to rolling the tail. In my experience that does more to slow the opening than rolling the nose. That pushes the rest of the packjob around the nose which delays the nose inflating while the canopy snivels.

If you ever watch a high speed deployment you will see that it all goes into a big ball of shit pretty quickly. packing where the nose is immediately exposed to air will cause it to inflate much faster though. Pulling the slider where it sits in front of the center of the nose also makes it inflate slower.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Best way to learn what packing does to your canopy is to practice. it wont take many jumps to know how things like rolling the nose, or not rolling the nose affects the opening. I learned a lot about packing jumping my Sabre 1. If you don't pack it right you will know it. Here is how I have been packing it most recently. I made the video for someone asking about wolmari packing. @ about 3:09 you can see me roll the crap out of the nose and push it into the packjob. If I didn't do this the canopy comes out with a bang.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmwYrsraqwk

grue

Is there a general consensus on the effects of various packing techniques as they pertain to the stages of canopy deployment?

If you are observant, you may very well notice the correlation between packing variations and the variation in openings that they cause. Beyond that, it may be difficult to prove any particular theory without a great deal of test jumps with detailed notes on how the parachute was packed. E.G., when I have someone pack for me, the initial part of the openings feel different than when I pack.

I think rolling the tail DOES affect the opening but not in a very helpful way... I used to always pack my own but every once in awhile would have a packer do it.

I used to get trap-doored whenever this one packer did it. I watched him and he rolled the tail SO tightly that my theory for the trap door was that it would stay in that tight cigar shape, nose unexposed to the air, just long enough to freak me out and imagine a trap door feeling. It paused the normal smooth opening sequence long enough to make me FEEL like I was accelerating.

crapflinger2000

It paused the normal smooth opening sequence long enough to make me FEEL like I was accelerating.

you ARE accelerating. When you get from belly to feet down and the canopy has not inflated completely yet, you actually gain vertical speed for a split moment.
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

If you are observant, you may very well notice the correlation between packing variations and the variation in openings that they cause. Beyond that, it may be difficult to prove any particular theory without a great deal of test jumps with detailed notes on how the parachute was packed. E.G., when I have someone pack for me, the initial part of the openings feel different than when I pack.

That's just outrageous...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i16HryVyRaI