voidlizard

Terms question: BOC

Could you please clarify what exactly is called BOC (bottom of container) ?

Is this a part of container where PC pocket is attached to? Or this is a part of container where the closing loop is attached to?

I know this question sounds pretty stupid from person with my profile,
but it seems that I got those two meanings of this term in different Russian translations and even in English manuals.

Normally it doesn't matter, but now I'm packing a bigger canopy into the smaller container. It's tight and packing result is ugly a bit.

Regarding to official manual, I should "rotate the D-bag to set lines towards to BOC". My current opinion that it means "PC bridle towards to reserve's D-bag".

But if I assume that BOC is a part where closing loop attached to (PC bridle attachment looks to my face, D-bag is set vertically") , the final pack job looks much more accurate and I can even make the closing loop shorter.

Official manual is ambiguous, and photos there have very poor quality, so I'm really confused.

I got the manuals from Javelin, read it, the meaning of the term is still ambiguous, but regarding to photos, they assume packing "PC bridle to reserve's D-bag". And also I'm not sure that my container's design is a copy of Javelin.

Could you please help?

PS. Did some jumps with the current packing (PC bridle to reserve's D-bag), it works.

PPS. Yes, I asked riggers. They told me that it I can't pack normally, I can put the D-bag vertically. I have no idea, how bad is it.

BOC refers to a type of throw out PC based on the location. It does not refer to part of the container itself.

There was a Rear of Legstrap ROL throw out, a Belly Band throw out, a Front of legstrap FOL throw out, a couple other versions and then the BOC, Bottom of container throwout. You order a BOC type of main deployment meaning a Throw out (versus pullout) pilot chute in a cordura or spandex pocket located on the bottom of the container. Replacing the BOC means replacing a worn out pocket.

The BOC became popular because the others required a portion of the bridle to be routed to the leg strap and usually held in place with velcro. This allowed some specific malfunction possibilities and maintenance issues. The BOC also is the only one that works with a wing suit and in general can be considered more secure.

This answer ignores throw out PC's whos handles are usually located on the bottom of the container also.

In YOUR context they are using BOC to mean literally mean the bottom of container which is NOT the part against you back but the part on the floor when you wearing the rig and sitting on the floor on you butt. What "rotate the D-bag to set lines towards to BOC" is telling you to do is to put the lines in the bottom of the container, not against you back or the closing loop but against the bottom wall of the container and rotating the top of the bag, where the bridle exits into the main container against the wall between the main and reserve. The bottom corners of the container are often sew up into a three sided "box". If you put the lines to the reserve and the bridle to the bottom these corners can hold the corners of the bag as the bridle tries to pull it out. The top of the main container, next to the reserve doesn't have this problem and allows the bag to exit more freely.

See page 19 of this manual. http://www.rigginginnovations.com/files/Docuemnts/2/FS%20-%20Section%203%20-%20User%20Information.pdf
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

BOC refers to a Spandex pouch (to hold the pilot-chute) that is sew to the bottom flap of the main container.
Main container components include: pack tray, right side flap, left side flap, bottom flap, top flap, main loop anchor and pin cover. Since the main top flap is often sewn to the reserve bottom flap, it is often referred to as a mid flap.
The mid-wall divides the main container from the reserve container. The AAD battery box is normally sewn to the mid-wall.
As for packing, most older rigs pack with the top edge (where the bridle exits) the main deployment bag pressing against the mid-wall.
To reduce line-twists, some wing-suitors like to rotate their main deployment bag so that the top of the d-bag rests directly under the pin. This packing method is often referred to as "bridle towards pin." It really only works gracefully if the d-bag is "square " when viewed from the side.

Regarding to official manual, I should "rotate the D-bag to set lines towards to BOC". My current opinion that it means "PC bridle towards to reserve's D-bag".

Yes, that ^^^.

The rigger who told you if you can't manage to rotate the bag, you can leave it "vertical" is also right (it might look a little bulgy, but that's really the only downside).

Simple as stated: BOC stands for "Bottom of container" as seen when wearing the rig. It often is used to describe the location of the main deployment handle, though it does not describe the type of deployment method.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.