Albatross

Ratteled from Perris

I was wondering how those of you out there who have seen someone BOU*** felt after. I have seen my share of death and blood (an EMT) but this was different. I really felt that if I didin't get back up in the air and make a jump that I might have lost my nerve.
Dazed and confused

I've seen a couple of broken legs/ankles but I've been lucky enough to have never watched someone actually go in. I did follow someone out of the plane only to find out after we landed that he'd had a non-recoverable mal and died. I didn't jump for three months after that. I told myself at first that I wasn't jumping because I had the exact same gear combination he did and I needed to have my rig modified. Once that was done it still took another two months to get my butt back in the air. First jump back I had butterflies like you wouldn't believe on the climb to altitude but as soon as the door opened on jump run I was fine. No problem on the following jumps either.
So yes I'd say get back up on the horse as soon as you can. The longer you wait the harder it will be. In your case remember that what you saw was an inexplicable error on the broken jumpers part - this is something you can avoid.

And don't forget that having people like you (EMT who is willing to go out and help) on the dz really makes the rest of us feel good. There is no worse feeling than seeing someone hurt on the ground and not knowing what to do to help other than call 911... Thank you for going out there and helping him; I hope you're on the dz if I ever break myself!

pull and flare,
lisa

I've seen a couple of broken legs/ankles but I've been lucky enough to have never watched someone actually go in. I did follow someone out of the plane only to find out after we landed that he'd had a non-recoverable mal and died.

I hate to bring it up, but I have to ask.. What was this non-recoverable mal? Very few mals are non-recoverable, so I am very interested in hearing about this particular case.. We can all learn from things like that..
Mike

Ahh.. I do remember hearing about a couple of those.. Wasn't that on the Javelin? I know there was a Service Bulletin issued, but I don't recall what type it was for..
My worst fear is to have something happen like Alan B. had.. Riser retaining loop failure.. He was damn lucky, though, that it was on his right side, not the left(RSL side).. Had it been on his RSL side, he could easily have had a main/reserve entanglement.. It made me seriously consider removing the RSL from my rig.. I have not removed or disconnected it, but I may at my next reserve repack - I haven't decided for sure.. For now, I choose to accept the risks of jumping with it..
Mike

Watching someone bounce is not soemthing that can be described in words. It's somethign that pretty much every skydiver will probably witness one day, whether it is someone you know or a stranger. Unfortunately I had to witness two bounces within 3 days this winter in Florida. It's indescribable, all I can say is get back in the air ASAP and make your decisions wisely when jumping.
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

Watching someone bounce is not a requirement to be a jumper. After many years without witnessing a critical injury my luck finally ran out and I had the misfortune of seeing a first jump student with a pilot chute in tow at a very low altitude that was to late for a reserve.
However I was able to minimize my mental trauma by simply doing a 180 degree turn and walking away before impact. Did I feel bad? yes. Did I cry? yes. Did I have nightmares? yes. Do I still jump? yes.
The rest of the people at the DZ that watched the whole event including impact, were much more traumatized.
In closing don't watch the impact and don't run over to look unless you have medical training. We had a army medic who ran over tried to perform CPR.
R.I.P.

Good advice. A packer friend was saying the same thing -- she doesn't watch those last moments. It's bad enough without having to see it. I hope to God I never have to see someone go in, but if it comes to that, I'll turn away.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Thanks for speaking, anonymous ... I agree - watching someone go in is NOT something that every skydiver should expect to see eventually. Watching the video of Jan go in on her final BASE jump was tough enough - but to see it with your own eyes must be just ... just ... well, I guess I just don't know how awful. I will look away if it ever happens when I am there...