gus

Skydiving and employers

Hi guys,
I had a job interview yesterday and the woman that was interviewing me said something quite interesting. After she had said "Do you have a death wish?" (I couldn't help but smile at that! LOL!) she said that she had had to check whether the company *could* employ someone that skydives. Do you think this is commom practice? Do you think anyone has been ignored for a job because they skydive? Are they even allowed to do that?
I think she was probably just being over-careful but does anyone have any experience of this?
Gus

ive usually found skydiving on job applications sometimes helps. If you put you "regulaly pack other peoples parachutes" they think thats a real big deal and you must be easily trusted!!!
I suppose it depends on the job,for example if your going for a job as a skydiving coach i suggest you may want to include it, (just kiddin) some employers are right miserable bastards and would show you the door straight away! Bit like my boss:(. The word Ignoranus comes to mind.

There was a thread about this not long ago; I'm job hunting, too, and wanted some feedback on whether or not to let slip that my favorite thing to do is jump out of airplanes...general consensus was to be honest. I actually put it on my resume under "Interests," in the hopes that I'll weed out the morons right away!
blues,
zelda

Legally, I don't see how she could refuse to hire you on that basis alone. This topic did come up on an earlier thread. There are ways to talk about how skydiving has benefitted you, how it has improved your overall confidence, decision making skills, leadership abilities, all of that. You can work with it, and sell it. But there is that prejudice out there, and that can be hard to get past. I guess you need to try and read the person who is conducting the interview and see how they will handle it. What you do in your free time really isn't any of their business and you don't need to disclose it. Personally, I stay low key about it if I am being interviewed, because I have had bosses give me a little grief about it, and I don't want to get into that whole "death wish" discussion with a prospective future employer. I'd rather save that debate for later!
If you are hiring, there are things you can legally take into consideration, and things you can't. But it would be really tough to prove that you were passed over for a job just because you are a skydiver.

if you think it's going to hinder you aplication why mention it... it's alot harder to fire you for skydiving than just not hire you in the first place........my empoyer on the other hand just makes me get a stupid letter signed and go to a stupid briefing about high risk activities......
if ya get really desprate for a job you could come work with me, as long as your under 28 and want to sign your life away on the dotted line, your hired!..........
<>

wingie - Time out! You have to attend seminars for high risk activities when the Army has the Golden Knights? That makes absolutely no sen....
Oh, wait, this is the US government we're talking about.
Nevermind. :P
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I was hired for my swim coaching job before I began skydiving and when I started and began spending all my spare time (and paychecks) jumping, I mentioned it to my boss and he's stoked about it. I've found that all the parents of the kids I teach are also very interested and most tell their kids what I do and are not scared to tell them their teacher jumps from planes. One little girl in particular (my favorite, I wonder why:)On the other hand, during the off-season, when I'm looking for part-time work elsewhere, I leave it out. When asked why I don't want to work weekends, I would sometimes say b/c I skydive and want to compete so I need to practice. I'm not sure if it had to do w/ skydiving or the fact that I put "unavailable" on the weekends but none of them would hire me. One actually did flat out say that her idea of skydivers were drug-addicted crazy people and that although she was sure I wasn't one of those, she wouldn't feel comfortable having me as an employee. Yikes!
So there you have it, I gave you NO answer to your question. Ha ha ha. The answer I guess is it just DEPENDS. All employers are different. Some have stereotypes and some are more open-minded so I hope you find that latter:)Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

You're welcome, Mandi:)I don't coach a team. I coach swimmers in the off-season or even during the season who want to be on a swim team or who are on a swim team and want more personal technique instruction. My swim company is, however, going to be starting a swim team shortly and it will be a USA team:)Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Hi there,
Just a short tale.
A guy I know went for a "management" interview. During this he was asked to rate his communication & leadership skills & he replied "excellent". He was asked to justify his high opinion of himself to which he replied "I am a skydiving instructor. Every Saturday morning I take 12 people I have never met before & within 6 hours I have both motivated them & taught them the survival skills neccessary to jump from a 'plane 2/3 of a mile above the ground safely!"
Got the job!!

I wouldn't mention skydiving on an application if I were
you. Those who don't really understand it may interpret
your interest in this sport as irresponsible "risk-taking"
behavior.
Let them know AFTER you've gotten the job about all the
great ways your hobby benefits your performance at work
... decision making, safety checks, love of life, etc.

I'm graduating college here in a couple weeks, and so recently had my resume checked over by the office that helps with that sort of thing, and in big letters I got a reply the I should NOT include dangerous activities in my interests. But quite frankly, it confused me, a great deal of my leadership experience comes from our club on campus, which has grown a great deal over the last couple years because of myself and a couple friends. So, I'm moving it under leadership experience category. : ) And I like that whole "packing for others" line, good stuff.

I am agreeing with "wildblue" on this one. If they don't like it, I don't want to have to spend 40 hrs per week with those people. I will be graduating college in May 2002 and will be looking for a teaching job well before then. I haven't decided yet if I will put my aspirations of skydiving (can't do AFF till May 2002).
Although I also don't think they you should be prejudged according to your personal life. The fact that I will skydive has no pertinance to how well I will teach Spanish.
I guess whichever side of the tracks I'm on when the time comes to send out resumes, that's what will go on there. But, it just isn't fair. I guess if you don't golf, you aren't good enough for some jerk people. Jerks. Sorry....
Blue skies!
Brandon and Laura
http://home.woh.rr.com/brandonandlaura/
a work in progress

I posted to the earlier thread on this topic, too... the pivot point here is the person who reads your resume or conducts the interview. Some people will be impressed with your skydiving abilities, some will think you are crazy. I think I would include it myself on a resume, just because I worked damn hard to become a skydiver, and I'm proud of my achievment. But like I said, the variable is the person on the other side of the desk.