shveddy

Rotary Hook Bobbins?

Rotary hooks allow for faster machines. If you don't need 2000 spm it won't matter to you. There are people who believe that oscillating hooks make a better stitch, but I don't see it. 31-15s are oscillating hook, almost all other industrial machines are rotary, some horizontal, and some vertical.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I'm sure what your asking. Your question about "bobbins" doesn't make sense. Bobbins ( the small round metal or plastic spool that you put thread on) are a few cents to a few dollars depending on machine that they are for. They have nothing to.do with whether a machine.is rotary or oscillating. A machine is either a rotary hook design or an oscillating hook design. At that point you buy the bobbins, bobbin cases (if needed), hook (if needed).that is the.proper part for the machine. No part you buy can change.a.rotary machine to an oscillating machine.

Not sure what you think is $70 different.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Sometimes on the ADHD inter-tubes you've gots to fill in the ____ with logic when people are less than precise with their words due to the nature of the medium.

But for the sake of clarity: I have the option of buying two machines. One is a rotary hook design and the other (different) machine is an oscillating hook design. There is a slight premium for the machine with the rotary hook design, and I am wondering if there is any reason to pay extra for the feature.

Although if you're sure what I'm asking, then just I'm not sure why you expressed confusion in your post ;)

Now that you've used reasonable sentences to ask your question...:)

We need the makes and models of the machines to be able to answer your question. If these are two home machines at walmart neither will do what some one working on parachute needs. But we also need to know what you want to do with them.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Here are some things that you probably need to know:

Rotating Hook:

*Is made for faster sewing

*Adds more twist to the Upper thread than a oscillating hook machine.This means that "Z" twist/bonded thread is highly recommended

* Requires a positioning finger for the bobbin case that limits the size of thread that may be used in that machine and also can induce thread wear at higher speeds

*Speed/RPM can affect thread tensions more with the use of a rotary hook.

Oscillating Hook:

*Does not use a positioning finger that is used on a rotating hook.So generally speaking,a larger thread can be used when compared to the rotating hook machine.

*Less top thread wear during heavy sewing because the thread has less contact with the hook than a rotating model

*Can sew with non-bonded thread or poorly bonded thread with more ease than a rotating machine.

*Thread tensions are easier to set and generally have a broader range than a rotating machine.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com