jtval

license problem

hey everyone,
i've got a question for all who have taken the test for the a license.
I seem to be doing something wrong. the more i study the more answers i get wrong. the 1st time i took the test i got 6 wrong. then i studied and missed 10 then 12. i think i might be studying the wrong version of the SIMS!! before and after i took my test, i lookewd at the sims for the answers. i swear i answered them correctly as it read in the sims but i missed almost every question. does anyone know if there is a study book specifically for the "a" license? b/c im really getting pissed off now! im going over seas SOON, for a few years and if i dont have an american uspa licence then my 40 jumps won't be worth a thing over there. any info would help me out ALOT
have fun live free skydive
JT

JT,
I would make sure you have the most recent SIM. It can be downloaded here http:// http://www.uspa.org/Publications/SIM/SIM.pdf and the errata sheet here http:// http://www.uspa.org/Publications/sim_insert_9=20=00.pdf The SIM as I am sure you know has a list of the sections to study for each license. Also, make sure that the copy of the test you are taking is recent and the answer sheet does match it. Just ask your DZO or S&TA. That having been said, when I took my test there wre a few questions that I swear were weird. Like what is the break off altitude for CReW. I was thinking, "What?, I have 20 jumps, I won't be doing CReW for a long time." But as far as I remeber there were not any that did not seem to agree with the SIM. Hope this helps maybe.
Blues Skies
Malachi

I agree to make sure you have a current copy of the SIMS and specifically study the sections it tells you you need to know for the A. Make sure the test you are taking is current too, as I got one wrong on my exam, that I really had right as the rules had recently changed. Don't over think the questions. If you know the material in the sections noted you should do ok but if you think you need more help, Jan Meyer has a study guide you can buy. Click here. Do you remember any that you had trouble with? Maybe we could all help you. All I remember is one of mine was about FAA rules and was about pilots and seatbelts etc and the answer was all of the above. (I got it wrong so that's why it sticks in my mind) So remember to read over the FAA rules they suggest knowing. Also I have a little study guide that my friend got from her DZ that I'd be happy to send to you. It's from last year so a few things may have changed but I thought it was helpful. Let me know. Good luck!
Blue 1111,
D

hey Donna,
yes i wouldn't mind if you could send me the study guide you have. i just d/l a copy of the sims. and all of the answers i found were the same.( i practically memorized the questions.) but i had the 2001 section 4 supplemented for 1998's section 4-7 so i may hafta re-read that stuff. but when i skimmed thru it the info wasn't much different.
if the study guide is on disc you can send it to me at [email protected] if its a hard copy lemme know and i'll send ya my address and whatever postage cost.
blue skies
jt
JT

I seem to remember that some of the questions were a bit ambiguous. It's not what you'd call a perfectly-thought out exam.
One tip I can give you: On the A test, every time one of the answer choices is "All of the above", THAT is the correct answer.
Speed Racer
Brew Skies

Hey, JT, make sure they're using the right answer key - i saw our S&TA use the PRO rating answer key to grade an A license test the other week - I didn't say anything because I thought he was messing with the student - turns out he didn't realize why the student only got 1 right! (P.S. the student missed 10 anyway)
It sure was funny watching him go over the results with her the first time and start to wonder if *he* knew the right answers.
-patkat

im sure it is easier than im making it out to sound.
when i failed the last time i showed my book to the dzm. he said that i should have sections 3-7 in the book. but in the errata it says they should be replaced by the uspa isp. so i replaced those sections. i think the test ive been taking was a VERY VERY old version, so i printed the old SIMS and im gonna take my answers from that. if i fail again there may be gun play afterward.(j/k) really if i do fail again. im going to another dz. if i fail there then im just a dumbass!(which is a possibility that shouldn't be ruled out just yet! :D )
JT

Hey JT -
The study guide I have is basically just certain parts of the SIMS, occasionally paraphrased. It's only 4 pages long so I'm typing it out for you and will e-mail it. I type with one finger (but a fast one!) so I'm working on it in between reading posts on here but I'll get it sent out to you tonight. If you know everything on these pages you should do well enough to pass. I think they pretty much just took the sections that pertain to each answer on the test. I'll send it to you too, Pammi. If anyone else wants it just let me know.
Good luck!
Blue 1111,
D

Im happy to say...it wasn't me. (well techincally)
i was studing the new ISP'S ,according to the errata sheet it says to remove and replace a bunch of stuff in the sims. well the test i was taking was just on the sims itself. i printed out the orignial sims and passed my "A"lisence test on monday!! WHOOO HOOO.
i also did my first 5 way on the sunset load. what a blast!!!
JT

I hate those freakin tests. It always seems like you know all the right answers until they grade the test and you have missed a bunch. Just remember that no amount of book knowledge can account for experience. Just because the book says its right doesn't mean its always the best option or decision.
Safe landings,
Alex D-23912