frost

The most amazing looking places to skydive

Eloy? Like the desert do ya?
I am amazed at how similar most drop zones in the US really are. Carpeted hangers, semi-permanent trailers for training, video, etc., the word "SKYDIVE" in huge letters visible from space (or at least the access road), beer lines, bonfire pits, you get the idea. Even the smells are the same: jet A exhaust (yummmmmm), nylon and stale beer. In the air, you can usually tell where you are:
East Coast: trees for miles, some hills
Midwest: nothing for miles, no hills
West: hills for miles, some mountains
Canada: snow for miles, some breweries (OK, I made that one up :-)
Of the dozen or so places I've jumped, I would have to say that my current "home" DZ (I live 3000 miles away), Skydive Elsinore, is the most beautiful. The view of the lake, mountains, and on a clear day, Catalina and the Pacific, although I have yet to be there on a day clear enough to see that far.
I'm really looking forward to jumping in my back yard (Skydive Newport, RI). The views from altitude of the bay, the ocean and Block Island must be incredible! You must be able to see out to Nantucket and maybe even Long Island. Anyone know?
Carl

I would have to say that I enjoy jumps close to the Ocean most. Lake Wales was really nice too, view wise. Other than that... for night jumps I like lots of lights. up here at Cross keys you can see Philly lit up as wella s Atlantic City... it's gorgeous...
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

texel island in the netherlands was quite nice!!! ya can see the whole island from altitude and the north sea with the sun shining on it is awsome!!!

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

I don't want to speak for another person, really, but I can't help saying that from what I have been told and the pics I have seen, jumping over New Zealand is breathtaking! I have every intention of jumping over the South Island someday...
But you should ask Pyke about all that NZ stuff. He has jumped over Lake Taupo also, if I remember correctly.
The prettiest jump I ever made was my first, which was in Mulberry, FL...I could see from coast to coast, I swear! I also jumped in Colorado Springs (Front Range Skydivers) and it was beautiful!! Something about being at 6000 feet elevation! Or maybe the mountains...I don't know!
luv,
Sis
"What we're all really seeking is something where we can feel the rapture of being alive."J.Campbell

yes n,z is pretty damn good.whenuapai in auckland,is sensational,rotorua amazing.haven't jumped in taupo or the sth island,but both are highly recommended.
vanuatu is beautiful(don't think too many people have been there tho.)
n.w usa is also right up there , with the volcanoes.you can see 12 (i think) from height at molalla (skydive oregon),and rainier is great from toledo.
best of all tho,is saipan in the northern marianas.
hawaii's ok,but really doesn't rate with other tropical locations.
just my opinion,
des

I was in NZ last December and jumped at The great Lake Skydiving Centre at Taupo. It was the start of the summer, the sun was out and the snow stilled capped the top of the maountains, It has to have been one of the best views I've had from the air. I went down to Queenstown but never got round to jumping I reckon it would have been even better, itsright up in the mountains with lakes all around.
The best view back home, Scotland, has to be at Skydive Strathallan. On a good day you can see Ben Nevis, Even in the winter, when it's -20 oC at altitude and the snows on the ground it still looks amazing.

Thanks Sis for the warning, and the plug. You are correct in your assumption. Having jumped in (yes, so far only GA, but 3/4 of the dz's) and I think I am allowed to say all over NZ (even though I didn't do ALL dz's), I would have to say that between Dunedin Harbour on the S.I. of NZ and (its a tie b/w) Taupo and Rotorua, NZ is where it is at for ME!!!
I did one jump in Auckland, and it wasn't anything to shake a stick at, but the dz was mostly to blame for that one. The view was nice on the ride, but you couldn't see much of the coast from Mercer. I really wanted to jump over Paihia, but I only had my A and you needed a B (dammit!!!). I reckon that one would have ROCKED!!
Wanaka was spectacular as far as views go, you get it all!!!! A huge mountain lake close to the dz to look at just outside the window. The ocean within reach of the horizon and a spectacular coastline. Snow capped mountains and ski resorts just off the lake. Mt. Cook, the Crown Range, Mt. Aspiring...ALL amazing mountains to view from the distance...and don't even ask me about the sunset loads. There is so far NO COMPARISON!!!!!!!
Aside from my ramblings on NZ, I have a strong interest to jump in Monterey Bay & Byron next time I visit my Mum in CA, San Marcos and Dallas next time I visit my Dad and Bro in TX, and I have tentative plans on the books right now for a week long adventure to Lapalisse with a certain someone who doesn't know yet, but again, we shall see on that one. Florida looks cool, but i have heard not in the summer!!!:Sbugs!
P.S. and Des, you wouldn't have been able to jump over Q'town even if you wanted to. They are strictly:( a Tandem operation and don't support sporties unless you work there, or want to go through the ringer just to jump once! Believe me...some of us tried when we got rained out over Wanaka, and it wasn't worth it. But, the good news is, the guy who owns Wanaka is negotiating Q'town as an alternate dz for boogies and rain-outs!!!:)enough out of me,
Kia Kaha,
Pyke:P
NZPF A - 2584

Just jumped in Indonesia this February. Edy C has a little DZ outside of Jakarta. Nestled between two dormant volcanos, it only sports one Cessna. Since it was the rainy season, the clouds were caught between a line of low mountains and came in below the volcanos peaks. Surprisingly, it was clear above the DZ part time while the volcanos remained constantly touching clouds and dripping temporary waterfalls from the rain. Bright greens and fantastic operation and friendly people (cafe, packing ~ $1, bunk rooms, creeper pad, etc.) Beautiful location.
AMF