chaz1234

DSL...like going from joints to crack!

One thing you may want to look into, but they are a little expensive, is a router/switch with built-in firewalling.
Some DSL modems (i.e. Alcatel) have gaping security holes, and if you online a lot it makes a lot of sense. It just bought a Linksys EtherFast 3-Port router for around $120. So I can plug up to 3 boxes onto my DSL connection. In fact I curretly have both my work laptop and home machine using my DSL connection as we speak.
I did a ShieldsUp! scan of machine on the router and they gave it the higest security rating there is. Even if you don't get a router, you may still want to visit the site to see what security issues you may have. It's very good and free. Click on the Test My Shields! button, and, if you're feeling frisky, the Probe My Ports :$ button to have your machine analyzed.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I second that....I got the Netgear gateway router RT314 for $90. 4 ports, 100MB switched. Plus, the best part is you can get rid of the crappy WinPOET or whatever mock dial up software you need to connect to your ISP. You put your user id and password into the router via a web interface and as soon as you power it on (the router that is) it connects to your ISP before your computer is even done booting up.
Routers use packet switching for security, which is good, but still not fool proof. Depending on how sensitive the data on your computer is, you may want to also get Black Ice on top of that. It's an easy to use firewall that gives you an extra layer of protection. Especially if you leave your computer on and connected to the net a lot. There are people even more techno geekish then me who will sit for hours scanning random ip addresses on the internet looking for a machine to hack into just for fun.

Well...nice thing about the router is, I can connect any computer, laptop, whatever, to it and bam...dsl connection. No software to configure, etc. The router also acts as a DHCP server...so I just set everything on the PC to auto and plug it in. If friends come over with laptops, etc....they can plug in and we can play internet games or other multiplayer games right across my own personal little 100MB switched lan.

Well, I would use both. And don't bother with BlackICE, stick w/ZoneAlarm.
THe router/firewall also does address translation, which helps shield things, and allows sharing one IP address across multiple systems, should you care to. With my NetGear RT314, I can set it up to translate a port to a given machine and port, so I can ssh to one port and be connecting to the Linux box, and if I had another machine, I could set up a port that connecting to would connect me to it... with... from... whatever.
But yeah, high-speed connections are da bomb!
Carl

Your router definitely is worth it if you're doing LAN parties or if you have more than one computer and want to share connections. I just didn't want folks to think a router was necessary for security.
Just FY'allsI, BlackICE has some issues with spyware and trojans (see bottom of this page). ZoneAlarm is a cheaper and more complete solution.
Blues, Squares,
PTiger
*insert sub-100 character sig here*