Viking

For all you car nuts

Hey dudes,
It looks cool but just a few little questions...Power transfer and weight shift...how is the power transmitted to the ground and how is the weight shift transported? What kind of suspension holds the vehicle to the ground and what kind of rubber will hold the transfer without spinning? I think it may look good and even have the power and maybe even a good top end but if it won't hold the ground it is useless. Sorta like tits on a bull...tee-hee...now...wanna race?? I got a hungry Bear waiting to be fed...tee-hee...
FFF

Spectre230,
I posted this a long time ago...but I can do it again if ya really want me too...and you can check out the car in the pictures section here on dz.com...it started off with a 49 Ford body...and wound up a totally customed show piece...way too many details to tell ya about but look at the pic's and that will tell part of the story...the power plant is a 730 horse big block 502 Chevy (way too many things done to it to list here) aspired by a 14 inch Edelbrock tunnel ram intake with two Holley 450 cfm carbs and backed by a TH400 (B&M internal shift kit and 3500 rpm hi-speed stall converter). The horsepower reaches the ground through a 9 inch Ford 4:11 bullet proof rear end, complete with a 4 link adjustable ladder bar suspension. I had a set of wheelie bars on it but I had to take them off last week (check out the pic's) cause I broke them at the drag strip. I know for a fact that it will run over 160 mph cause that is what the speed-o registers and so far this year I have broken it three times...The best time I have had with it so far has been a 9.9 ET with a speed of 144.223 mph through a quarter. I have no idea what it will turn on the top end. (I'm too damn scared to hold it wide open for that length of time and I have already, this year, had to replace the engine three times cause I blew it up. I have a heavy foot.) This is a Pro-Street machine that is raced against some of the best factory rods made and has been beaten only a hand full of times...I'm not saying it is the fastest car on the road (yes, I drive it on the street), but nothing on the street in this county can touch it...the police here don't even bother chasing it any more...they wait in my driveway for me to come back home...I'm really proud of it and the work I have put into it so if ya want the particulars on the engine and drive train, let me know...I'll take about two hours and e-mail it all to ya...meanwhile, I've run out of competition here so - wanna race??
FFF

The best time I have had with it so far has been a 9.9 ET with a speed of 144.223 mph through a quarter.

You know what's fun, though? I'm a big time VW nut (the old air-cooled ones) and I love going to bug-ins, especially when there is drag racing. There are quite a few VW Beetles (old ones) who do the quarter in 9 to 10 seconds. Now *that* is cool. :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Aggie,
Ya' can't brag about it if ya can't do it...the Bear can do it...and if you can do it - now, THAT is cool...I've been around drag racing for over 35 years and have never seen a naturally aspirated VW (unless is has a water cooled american engine) do anything like you say...so if ya' got one, bring it on...I'm always happy to see a new car on the strip...
FFF

Well FFF,
I have to back Dave on this one. His won't run near that until he gets finished modding it, which is rough while in school. But there are quite a few VDubs out there that will break a 10 sec quarter. It has a lot to do with weight, and they are very light. I have seen VDubs make runs that beat a lot of stock or pro-stock sportcars. I cannot think of any sites at the moment, most of the ones I have were in magazines or at bugins. But believe me it is very possible for a aircooled bug with a 1835cc or maybe 2110cc to break 10 seconds.
Malachi

Spectre230,
Yep. I'm always ready for new competition...Largest and (as far as I know) the best run strip in S.C., Jackson Drag Strip, open on Thursday nights, Saturday and Sunday, is where I can be found most anytime...And yeah, if you can take the heat, bring it on...They don't allow grudge races so if you are turning what you say you are, you will have to give up points on the start line, but bring it on...I love a new challenge...by the way, if you checked out the pub pages, you saw my rod...how about posting or having Sangiro post one or two of yours?? I'd love to see it...next to skydiving, racing and custom machines is in my blood...
FFF

FFF: I don't have it built yet...gotta get cash! :)As for what I was talking about, yes they are naturally asperated, no NOS, no Turbo, just good ol' German technology. Usually they're something like Type I 2500cc strokers running dual Weber IDF 48s or modified 50s. A Type I is a VW Beetle engine, flat four, air cooled in a 4-speed manual. Same idea as Mr. Porsche's orginal design, just modified a bit. I've seen these things crank on the upwards of 250hp, which in a race modified Bug that weighs about 1400lbs or so can make the thing really really damn fast. This stuff proves that you don't have to have tonz and tonz of HP to make something very very fast. Also, check out the "Kafer Kup" races in German. Those are late model (1972 1/2 to 1978) Super Beetles (super is a different model of beetle with a McFerson strut suspension) running stroked Type I and Type IV engines. These things run the races at 120+mph. That's not an oval track, that's a road type course. Don't count out that little VW next time your at the stop light, you never know what's under the decklid. ;)
Next time your at the news stand pick up a "Hot VWs" or a "VW Trends." Or if you want to see some of the Kafer Kup cars pick up a "Total VW" which is a british mag. I'm a car guy, I'm not yank'n your chain here. :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

spectre230,

I did see your photos and like the car.

Thank you. That thing has taken up a lot of my time and money (thanks for your tax dollars, sis). So yeah, I appreciate it when someone sees it and knows what they are looking at. Sorta like whuffo women and skydiving, I've lost a lot of the ladies cause I spent more money and time with the Bear than I did with them - and if you have a car like that camaro - you probably know just what I am saying here. Again, thanks for the comments. Now, bring it on...tee-hee...the Bear needs to be fed...woo-hooo...
FFF

Men and their cars......not all women want your money. And not all are jealous of your cars. Date different women, you guys.
I don't want your money. Your time, yes, but not 24 hours a day. And I participate in the high risk sport of crocheting and knitting (how fast can you make a baby blanket, huh?), and sometimes needlepointing makes my fingers hurt (I keep stabbing myself); so sometimes you won't get my attention either....As long as you hug me, and whisper sweet nothings in my ear at interesting moments, I am fine. As long as I know you are near me, so you can "rescue me" from those frequent earthquakes or other nasty little natural phenomena (tornados, hurricanes, ex's...), I am generally a happy lady. Granted, the occasional fancy restaurant or theatre ticket is nice, sometimes some flowers, but hey, a telephone call is just as good. As long as you show up at the charity functions, I could care less if there is grime in your knuckles.....there's something quite, uh, tantilizing about a man in a good suit who has grime in his knuckles....as long as his fingernails are clean.
Just my thoughts. I'll go away now, cause how DARE a woman invade the men's territory on a car thread.......ooooops!;)
ciel bleu-
Michele

My Junior fuel dragster of late sixties/early seventies vintage turned high 7's ET at 185-192MPH on 98% Nitro. 301 ci unblown small block Chevy-(750 HP @ 8500 RPM on 98% Nitro)-car weighted 870 lbs!
If I had this exact same car today, but with a Linco two speed trans and current state of the art tires, I would be running in the low/mid sixes, with no engine changes! (MPH--200+
Dave Brownell

DB,
You might...but you ain't...and I hate to sound like a real asshole but talking rights go to those that do, not those that don't...build it again...the more people are involved, the better the cars, the greater the sport...and please, don't flame me for this post...I don't mean to sound nasty, I'm really bummed out right now and things are a little fuzzy...
FFF

That's a truck, right? Sorry... not mechanically-minded

ya dude its a Dodge Dakota Sport that has had its origanal v6 engine swaped out for a Dodge Viper 12cylinder :o
Remember when Sex was safe and skydiving was Dangerous?