highspeeddirt

monkeyfist maker

For PC handles the insert in the ones I've seen were something like, if not actually, ping pong balls. The monkey fists were as light if not lighter than a hackey. The ones in the link above use a 'light weight wooden ball'. When a monkey fist is made for it's original purpose, as the weight at the end of a light line thrown from a ship used to haul a heavier line, then a heavier object is normally used.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I made a few awhile back and used a ping pong ball on the inside. I would paint the ball the same color(or close to) the color of the cord I was using so you wouldn't see the white ping pong ball.

The solution I came up with for the finishing knot, was to start with and end with a long tail. Then use the tail to connect to the kill line.

Anything light enough to not cause a hazard would be good. I thought about using a plastic golf ball but as a test run I just balled up a piece of paper. When it was done the monkey fist was good and hard and didn't weigh much so I just did that again when I made my handle. There are three sets of wraps with the cord when you make the knot so I just did the last set of wraps around the tape on the top of the PC which put 6 strands of 550 connecting the knot to the pc. I don't think that's going anywhere. I jumped it yesterday and liked it a lot.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging