Aviatrr

CReW Skies

I got home today from a CReW camp down in Sebastian, and all I can say is.....ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I made 10 CReW jumps this weekend, and had a blast.. We had 6 students, 3 instructors, and 3 experienced CReW jumpers.. The 3 instructors are all members of the USA CRW Team.. Mark Gregory, Chris Gay, and Mike Paolin.. These guys are incredible.. Amazing canopy pilots, great teachers, and just all around cool guys.. I learned a tremendous amount in only 10 jumps, and I definitely plan to continue with CReW..
We started out with 2 way drill dives, then moved on to 3 ways, 4 ways, 5-6 ways, and finished off with an 11 way.. We attempted the 11 way three times - got 6 people in the first time, 9 in the second time, and 10 in the third time.. The last person was literally just a few feet from docking when we had to start the breakdown.. Damn close.. Our final attempt at the 11 way was weathered out..
We suffered a couple setbacks that slowed the pace of the camp - the twin otter toasted an engine(luckily on the ground), and the weather moved in every day as usual in Florida this time of year - but still accomplished quite a bit.. I'm definitely going to attend the intermediate/advanced camp that these guys give when I have some more small way CReW practice.. Anybody that is interested in getting into CReW should definitely contact these guys.. They are sponsored by Skydive Atlanta, Skydive Sebastian, and Skydive Cross Keys - so I'm sure they can be contacted through any of them.. I will soon have an e-mail for Mark Gregory, so if anybody is interested, drop me a line and I'll pass it on..
And another CReWDog is born.....
Mike

I haven't tried CReW, and probably won't for awhile. I can barely fly my own canopy right, much less do it with anyone else. But I was wondering, is there any recommendation on when it is reasonable to try CReW. I know I'd need to get some training and use a different canopy. What sorts of requirements are there to give it a shot?
Justin
My Homepage

But I was wondering, is there any recommendation on when it is reasonable to try CReW.

Well, I'm very inexperienced at it myself, so I can't really give much advice on it.. The SIM has some recommendations for people that want to try CReW - check it out.. I'd say that you should be comfortable with your canopy skills, be able to land close to your target every time(the SIM specifies a distance), and find a very experienced CReWDog/instructor to teach you..
Mike

I agree they are great to watch. They are doing a skills camp soon at Skydive Atlanta and I really want to join them. Road trip up and do the camp with me!!

If you're talking about the camp in two weeks, it is more of an intermediate camp.. They will be starting out with 9 ways and larger right off the bat.. I'll be receiving e-mail from Mark whenever they have a camp coming up, so I'll keep ya updated on when some novice camps will be in your area.. I would feel comfortable on the 9+ ways if I could take a fairly easy slot to fly - but to really get the most out of it I need to practice with some 2 and 4 way rotations/sequential before I get into the intermediate/advanced stuff.. I plan on getting a Lightning very soon, and practicing with some of the local experienced CReW guys..
Mike

Congrats. Make it out west and we can scare each other in some downplanes, etc.

Much of my family lives out there in the LA area, so I make it out now and then.. Do you have a Lightning? If so, what are you loading it at? I'm about 190 with no gear, and will be jumping a L160..
Mike

This coming weekend is a CReW camp at Skydive Dallas...I REALLY want to go...but I don't know if I can make it down there 2 weekends in a row. If anyone in our area is interested, the seminar is at 8:30 AM on Saturday and Wendy Faulkner is bringing PD Lightning Demo Canopies...you need to sign up though. I can't remember the name of the guy who is teaching it but he's world class, from what I understand. The best part is that its free! Just pay your normal jump ticket.
I asked what the experience requirements are, and they said you can be right off getting your A license IF you are comfortable flying your own canopy, do not have adrenaline overload (b/c its pretty exciting and you might panic I guess) and land where you want to pretty well (i.e., good accuracy).
Of course, the more experience you have the better! Isn't that always the case?? LOL
Hugs,
Sis
I lust for the ultimate rush...

Last year I used a L193. This year I used my Spectre 190 (with microlines.) It was very floaty at 1:1. SQ1 has some 176s and 160s Lightnings to demo if we jump Perris.

No CReW with microlines for me! Those things are like power saws when under tension.. I'll let ya know when I head out that way..
Mike