ERICCONNELLY

E-mail the FAA

hmmm.. I wonder if they really need to see emails from a couple thousand altitude-challenged skydivers...
Maybe check with the USPA, see what they have to say. If we should just let them speak for us, or if we too should voice our thoughts to the FAA, congressmen, etc.
Those folks have enough on their plate right now, let's make sure we don't unduely cause them more work.
Then, I saw these two guys swoopin across the pond, and I was like 'weeeeeee!!!!'

Hey, I just checked out the USPA Web site and they are going to be testifying to Congress along with other VFR GA interests. Write your rep. Also, they say that the FAA is pushing to open VFR, so maybe sending them email is preaching to the choir!
Also, there is a Pilot Town Meeting that the AOPA is having in Columbus, OH tomorrow night. Might be a public opportunity to show support for Freedom in the Skies. (Sorry, I've been watching too much CNN).
Carl

Damn.... since that meeting is like 2 miles from where I work I guess I might just have to go to it. Lets get a Skydivers voice heard working for the positive instead of getting us kicked off of Airports. Anyone want to join me there? I'll be the one in my Summerfest shirt. Tye Dye Blue and White :)Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

Ok, more stuff from USPA:
Airspace Update
As of 4:30 PM EDT on Tuesday, there is no change and still no word from today’s White House-level meeting on the resumption of VFR operations. According to sources, there is still a national security threat posed by individuals still in the U.S. Moreover, sources indicate a concern that small aircraft may figure in continuing plans to disrupt the American public.
USPA spoke today with senior FAA officials and senior staff of the National Security Council. The FAA is still pushing for a release of VFR activity. Failing any progress by tomorrow, USPA has made the FAA aware of our intent to push for an exception, based on the requirements on jump planes that make their operations very similar to IFR operations, which are approved to fly. Stay tuned to the web site, which we are updating as events change. And stand by to write letters and make phone calls when that time arrives.
Meanwhile, Congressional committees are scheduling hearings on aviation security and on the economic impact of airspace restrictions. USPA will testify on behalf of skydiving and VFR GA, along with the other GA associations.
------------------
I'd really like to know when that time will be. I'm afraid many smaller DZs won't be able to handle a whole lot more of this. I think I'll give it another day or two, then send off a few emails to thw FAA and my congressman.
On a semi-related note, also on the USPA's website:
---------
USPA E-Mail Disrupted
USPA has been infected by the most recent virus, known as the Nimda worm. As a result, we are unable to receive e-mail at this time. We will continue to accept incoming phone calls and fax transmissions. We appreciate your patience while we work to restore our e-mail communications. We will update this page when normal service resumes. This temporary disruption will not affect our ability to post Airspace Updates to this site; we will continue to pass along new information as quickly as possible.
-------
Then, I saw these two guys swoopin across the pond, and I was like 'weeeeeee!!!!'

Im very glad to hear that our USPA Government Relations is in high action. That is what our dues pay for. Yes I want to jump, but even worse, the economic impact to my home DZ will be devistating if this continues for weeks and months. Im confident my DZO is doing all he can to voice his case, the other Giant Drop Zones are loosing even more money daily, and the USPA board will loose membership if they botch this. So I say, let the professionals do their jobs.
Our Country doesn't need Renagades right now, especially Renagade Skydivers.
Soo, South of the Border Boogie Anyone?
Fly Your Slot !