tsalnukt

So, a cypres is gonna.....

Agreed
The Federal Air Regulations always loop back to include "in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions" so we can agree that an AAD must conform to manufacturers' maintenance schedule (battery replacement, factory inspections, service bulletins, retirement, etc.) on the day it is inspected and repacked. Anything less is less than "best business practices."
I am comfortable with repacking a reserve when the AAD will retire less than 180 days later because I legally and ethically "cover my ass" by writing the AAD retirement date on multiple pieces of paper. If the owner, manifest, etc. chose to ignore the written advice of an FAA Master Rigger, then their asses are in the sling.

riggerrob

Agreed
The Federal Air Regulations always loop back to include "in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions" so we can agree that an AAD must conform to manufacturers' maintenance schedule (battery replacement, factory inspections, service bulletins, retirement, etc.) on the day it is inspected and repacked. Anything less is less than "best business practices."
I am comfortable with repacking a reserve when the AAD will retire less than 180 days later because I legally and ethically "cover my ass" by writing the AAD retirement date on multiple pieces of paper. If the owner, manifest, etc. chose to ignore the written advice of an FAA Master Rigger, then their asses are in the sling.

Even before I was a rigger I was informed that the AAD must be airworthy during the entire repack cycle. This came up in regards to battery replacement. I questioned why I was going to lose a couple of months of battery life (replacing it at like 1 yr, 10 mos) because of the timing of the repack.

If one takes the most conservative interpretation of the FARs/ACs and only packs a rig if the AAD is airworthy during the entire repack cycle, then you're on solid ground with the feds. Hanging your hat on notations on the PDC, depending on the jumper to follow-thru on maint, etc is putting yourself out there. Why take the risk? If you keep things simple and say, "Your rig is good for 180 days, go have fun.", then you're in a much better position.

A rigger can twist, spin, interpret things all they want to justify why they did something, but at the end of the day if you get called on it, you may have some "splaining" to do. It's not worth it. "But I thought..." isn't going to hold up in court.

Even before I was a rigger I was informed that the AAD must be airworthy during the entire repack cycle.

You were misinformed. The fact that you believed the misinformation you were given is irrelevant. The hypothetical court case you are spreading fear about is also irrelevant, except in your mind.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Some riggers like to write the repackage date too early so that it is less than 180 days (e.g. inspection will expire the same day the Cypres is due to retire). The brighter riggers also write "Cypres retires October 2014" on the packing data card, invoice, etc.