3fLiEr

Ground Launching

I have been looking into ground launching my canopy for a while and had some nice tips (I live near some very high swoopable hills) - would anyone here have any tips and tricks from experiences of ground launching that may help. I am aware of the basics of reverse launch and wind reaction to hills - but any info would be helpful.
Also I have found some very steep hills - almost vertical - has anyone ground launched something similar? What height would you expect to drop to full presurisation from a 6 - 8 knot wind presurised canopy? or what is the possibilty of curl over from the 6 - 8 knot wind collapsing the canopy.
Before I am flamed - coz its happened before - this indeed is very much doable taken the right way.
Thanks in advance for all help..............
BSBD
"Always go Hard, Fast & WayLo"

>I have been looking into ground launching my canopy for a while and had some
> nice tips (I live near some very high swoopable hills) - would anyone here have
> any tips and tricks from experiences of ground launching that may help. I am
> aware of the basics of reverse launch and wind reaction to hills - but any info
> would be helpful.
>Also I have found some very steep hills - almost vertical - has anyone ground
>launched something similar? What height would you expect to drop to full
>presurisation from a 6 - 8 knot wind presurised canopy? or what is the possibilty
>of curl over from the 6 - 8 knot wind collapsing the canopy.
Oh, man. Be prepared for some blood. I did what you described with a Manta and a PD-190. A Manta is pretty doable, a PD190 required me to basically throw myself nearly headfirst down the hill to get into the air. (I've also done it quite a bit with a SuperSpace, a real paragliding canopy, and it's tons easier.)
The steeper the hill, the better (obviously.) A hill that starts flat and gradually steepens is best. Be sure you have a clear path all the way to the bottom - you may end up running all the way down.
Reverse launch generally works best, with front risers for heading control. Once you start your run, you can get the canopy up to speed by leaning on the front risers just a bit. You can "pop" the brakes to get you off the hill, but this can easily backfire if you're not steep enough yet.
Any canopy that is the least unstable in skydiving flight is going to give you trouble. Paragliders are notoriously unstable, but paraglider pilots are trained how to reinflate collapsed wings, and they are usually of a size (260 sq ft) that a partial collapse near the ground is not fatal.
For your first few flights I would recommend sled rides. Just launch and head straight for the landing area until you get a better feel for how paragliders react around hills. It's generally very difficult to slope soar skydiving canopies, because they have a high descent rate and are optimized for opening and swooping, not glide. A wind that will keep you aloft is generally too strong to launch in.
-bill von

>Would you explain reverse launching?
The next time you land on a windy day, let the canopy collapse behind you. Then turn around, flip one set of risers over your head, and face the canopy. Take the front risers in your hand (note that you now have your left front riser in your right hand and vice versa.) Haul backwards, and your canopy will probably inflate above your head. Use the front risers to move the canopy left and right. Once it's directly above you, drop the risers, turn around (be careful which direction you turn!) and run. The canopy should stay inflated above your head. This is, essentially, a reverse launch. (Of course, without a hill to launch from, it just makes you look like an idiot running across the LZ.)
-bill von

(Of course, without a hill to launch from, it just makes you look like an idiot running across the LZ.)

That's ok....that's SOP for me.....especially when I try to run all the way to the packing hangar with my canopy still inflated above my head.. It sucks when I am running downwind, it's more of a sprint.. ;)
Mike