skydivemike

Freefly beginner

I have become very interested in Freeflying and would like to know what type of gear is needed to freefly. What type of jumpsuit would you recommend for someone who is 200lbs and 6 feet tall. Also, what type of container and canopy should I look in to buying (If there is a specific brand for freeflying). Also, if any Canadians read this, is there any places to buy jumpsuits or gear in Canada?
I think I may take a trip down to florida in November to Skydive Deland and take some courses on freeflying. Can any Freeflyer give me suggestions on how to get started.

This might be better in the "Gear & Rigging" forum, but hey, who's counting? You'll want a container that is freefly-friendly, which most people take to mean all tuck-tabs, no velcro on the riser and pin covers. Hardshell helmet, wrist-mount altimeter... most people say you should have an audible altimeter too, because you get to pull time a lot quicker when freeflying, with the higher speeds. You'll want a wrist-mount as opposed to a chest-mount, because on your back or in a sit, a chest altimeter is in a burble and tends to read high.
Don't ask me, though, I just started... :)Marc

Well, I've managed to learn how to sit and stand so far from a few lessons from my friends at Deland, so you're going to the right place! Jimmy T., who runs the freefly school, is an amazing skydiver, and a great guy to boot.
Deland is my home dz, so let me know when you are coming!
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

Just make sure your bridal and risers are covered. Use a good audible alti and don't get complacent! Make sure you roll to your belly no later than 1000-1500 feet above your pull alti. This allows you to slow down to the safe envelope of your canopy. I definately recommend finding someone experienced that can help you out and video is a big plus. Have fun...be safe...drink beer when your done!
"The sky resembles a back lit canopy...with holes punched through it"- Incubus
Clay

mike,
take it from another begginer freeflyer.. Get coach jumps from the start!!!!! some people think that paying the extra $ for a coach right away is a waste of money.. but its good because youre taught the right way BEFORE you develop any bad habits. Hell, today on my first freefly coach jump (with heath from Monkey Claw) i was sit flying! on my second jump i held a sit stable (without the legs out as much as a regular sit. their kinda tucked up) for 1/2 of the skydive. the difference between jump number 1 and 2 is amazing. It still needs work, so thats why ill be out there tomorrow for another day of coach jumps with heath....
get coaching from the start!!! dont give yourself the freefly skydives to develop bad habits.
kel
"i can not attest to what i did, just what i remember...."
~me, after one too many

No matter what kind of container you get or whatever equipment you use, be careful. I started freeflying a while back and got a friend interested in it, so he started too. Well, he's jumping a "freefly friendly" rig and had a premature on his last jump. Luckly he was ok and his gear was ok, but it shouldn't have happened.
Moral of the story: Be careful with your gear. Check your rise covers and your bridel, etc. BUT Have fun, b/c I know I freaking love it ! :D
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

"freefly friendly" rig and had a premature on his last jump"
Yep, I think people get complacent when they think there rig is "bullet proof" As Chuck once told me " If you rigged your shit right in the first place, you wouldn't have that problem" LOL
40 or so Free Fly jumps and had my reserve flap come up once after 6,000 ft in a stand LOL. and my shit ain't "Free fly friendly" Be careful out there!
"The sky resembles a back lit canopy...with holes punched through it"- Incubus
Clay

I have become very interested in Freeflying and would like to know what type of gear is needed to freefly.

Get a freefly suit. It will help you not only during freeflying, but with your height/weight, it will likely help you during belly flying, too. I am 5'11 and about 190lbs, and I use my freefly suit for belly flying too, unless I'm jumping with a bunch of other bricks. Your fall rate is probably fairly fast in a regular RW suit, as is mine. My freefly suit allows me the speed range to belly fly with just about anybody.
As for the container....there are many different types out there, and if you are buying new, it will be freefly friendly. I don't know of any manufacturer that is now making rigs that aren't freefly friendly. If you're buying used, talk to a rigger. Some will be freefly friendly, some will not.
In my opinion, you don't really need a specific main canopy for freeflying since you will not intentionally deploy your main while freeflying - unless you're a dumbshit like me, that is. I have deployed several different canopies in various positions(including sit/stand) and speeds - some are ok, and some will knock your dick in the dirt. I don't recommend trying it - it's just that I'm not very bright, so I have. The only main canopy I know of that is advertised as freefly friendly is the Cobalt - and I will Dan or Chuck chime in on that one since I have never even jumped a Cobalt. As for reserves - I think that the PD reserves are an excellent choice, because they have a lot of reinforcements. PD reserves are drop tested at 180mph and 1.2 times the maximum certificated weight for the canopy. I'm told by some PD test jumpers that they will withstand much more than that. The Raven Dash-M series is also reinforced, and tested to fairly high weights/speeds(I don't know specifics). I feel that one of those two types would be the best reserve choice for a freeflyer - but that's just my personal opinion. I don't plan on deploying my reserve while freeflying, but....shit happens, and you never know - I want the odds stacked in my favor.
If you come down to Deland, let me know - we'll do some freeflying. There are some awesome freefly coaches here at Deland, but there are also awesome coaches at other DZ's down here. If you come down here, I suggest spending enough time to visit several DZ's.....they're all different and very unique.
Mike

1) Kit - anything that keeps everything hidden and tidy
2) I would suggest a dual teflon cable instead of a curve pin - cuts down the possibility of a premature even more!
3) Jump suit - I would suggest something real baggy all over - although it is much harder to learn in once you crack it your range of speed is much greater. - People may disagree with this though - its a matter of choice.
4) Canopy anything that you can fly - its nice to bang out some X-treme crew at the end of the dive with your mates and then hook it in!
5) Have fun & be safe, know your capabilities - dont rush anything.
6) Go hard, fast & Lo
BSBD
(FreeF) All Success.............