lewmonst

helping a student with a project on skydiving...

i'm a teacher, and one of the students is doing her year-long "inquiry" project on skydiving - which just rocks...
so right now i'm helping her find info for a histroy of skydiving paper.. Do you know of any good resources for the history of skydiving, other than searching google.com...????
all help is appreciated. Thanks
:)lew:S

In addition to the Skydivers Handbook, the Rigging books by Dan Pontner are great for a history leson on canopy design and recalls. It gives you a clear history between Volume one and Volume two of every major canopy design that was tried. Some of them look scary by modern terms. Any one know how a Pod was used?? :)For the history of jumping http://www.parachutehistory.com has a good history project going right now. (Who would have thought that thats what that site dealt in? :P)
Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

lew,
can you ask some older jumpers if theyde be willing to do a sit down or phone interview with her? if that aint history walkin i dont know what is.... she could quote them.. a good resource for future papers. using all different sources, books, magazines, internet searches, and interviews along with quotes (taken from another source) etc etc.
if shed like to do some email interview or something i know exactly the person who would help her. hes been jumpng over 25 years, and would totally love to talk about skydiving in the olden days..
email me if it would work out for her.
[email protected]
"i can not attest to what i did, just what i remember...."
~me, after one too many

Thats a great idea! And there is a jumper with 45 years and 15000 jumps experience right down the road that she can use as material too. Lew, tell her to get ahold of Jim for a real history lesson.
Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

phunny you should mention that phree, actually the student is lisa's cousin, and she was already thinking about interviewing Jim, i've encoruaged her to come to SGC this weekend. The interview is a great idea, but a whole other section of the project... right now she's just looking for history. Thanks for all the links.
She also has to do 2 articles for each subject: math, science, history, english, foreign language... so for example in foreign language she has to write about the author and something about skydiving in spanish or french. in history she has this history of skydiving, and soemthing else... in math she has to write something about how math is used in skydiving (me being the math teacher i've already thrown her plenty of ideas for that), etc...
so keep posting the links/books where i can help her find stuph :) thanks everyone

"math is used in skydiving "
Funny you should mention that.... Actually earlier tonight Adam (the surfer at SGC) and I were trying to calculate the altitude a freeflier with an average speed of 180 mph would pass an 8 way RW group that has an average speed of 109 mph if the freeflier gives the 8 way a 7 second count. We went to the point where I started to figure out the rate of acceleration of the freeflier in a acceleration time curve and I finally came to the answer that it don't matter since the freeflier will be landing first aways under his/her pocket rocket canopy :)Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

On the skydiving movies FTP (don't have the excact adres here, but someone will probably be friendly anough to post it:) there is a documentary from the Discovery channel about the history of skydiving (and army uses and how it evolved into a hobby for a lot of persons)
It's in the /fromTV/ directory..
Maybe it's of some help..
Cya,
JC

ok, phree, thanks for nothing, i can calculate your physics problem for ya if you really want me to... :D
and as for adam "the surfer", how many surf jumps does he have? and how many surf jumps do i have? cmon phree you know this. so who's the surfer? i'd say neither of us yet... we're still on the baby boards.
anyway, the point of the thread.... If anyone knows where that discovery movie is or anythign like that, that would be great.
thanks

Thanx freeflir29, didn't have the url here at work.
Browsed through the dir. of movies for the excact url's
ftp://129.2.156.19/from TV/hist.mpg
ftp://129.2.156.19/from TV/hist2.mpg
Hope this helps...
Cya,
JC
p.s. Got a new, better payd job (hope to start there next month)
I'll finaly have some more money to spend on skydiving.
Now all I need is co-operating weather...damn holland sux..:(