3fLiEr

Increasing the speed of your Hook

I like to grab the riser up at the connector link so I change the AOA on the canopy as much as possible. Other than that it's all timing so that you are hitting the natural flat glide of the recovery arc just as you reach the ground. Of course, a 360 is much faster than a 180 but twice as dangerous....have fun be safe and don't be afraid to come out high and ride the front risers for a couple seconds.....B|
"There once was a man named Enis.....B|"-Krusty the Clown
Clay

"have fun be safe and don't be afraid to come out high and ride the front risers for a couple seconds...."
No I won't ..............as I said to someone when I first started hooking it!!!!!!!!!!
My reason for this thread is to find the most efficient way to gain the most speed....... and not the basics!!
Example -should you go from half breaks into a snap riser turn or go from full drive? or should I use two front risers first to gain speed then drop one into a carving hook?
BSBD

Oh got ya....I haven't experimented beyond the smooth entry yet. I have watched people do the opposite rear riser and all that other craziness. Just don't have that much experience yet. I have found that 1 smooth 360 is plenty to kill me....LMAO
Clay

freeflir29> Of course, a 360 is much faster than a 180
Being just a mere not-yet-qualified-to-swoop sheep, forgive me for this stupid remark, but I once read (I think it was in
the Book of Canopy Control or something) that any turn over 90 degrees doesn't yield any significant increase in speed.
Now what's the deal with that?
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven

Just a semi educated guess but it seems that a half brake approach would yield a lot more speed than a front riser before you hook. It seems that it would make it easier too since the initial airspeed would be lower and the riser pressure less.
Here's a good question for a canopy god and airplane pilot. Is there a way to cause your canopy to "slip" Like slipping an aircraft with opposite aileron and rudder input? Opposite front and rear risers maybe?
Clay

You can "slip" by using opposite risers (i.e. front left and rear right), but it's not really used much save maybe doing some CReW. Atleast that's what was told to me by one of the Houston CReW Dogs (Catfish). I'm inclined to believe him since he really knows his shit.
I know it goes with out saying, be careful, I watched someone hook in trying to do this sort of stuff at the DZ one day. He lived, barely, but seeing the condition he's in now, I think I would have rather died. Even though, I've been playing around with my canopy too, trying to slowly learn how to do this sort of stuff. Watching people come in fast, horizontal/level with their canopy then swooping it out still makes me cringe. I guess it's the flappying canopy sound from the high speed.
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

A smooth carving one-riser dive of between 180 and 270 degrees followed by rear riser input to get around the corner is what wins all swoop competitions; period. Some will sit in deep brakes until their desired entry altitude, then release brakes, dial their riser dive and haul ass. Others, like me, fly along at full flight, zig-zagging off altitude to get to our desired turn-entry point. Left and right corrections can typically be made by loosening or tightening the turn radius with the "diving" riser. Come out too high still and you can go to double fronts. If you have to "stab" at all, then you are going to have a shorter surf than if you let up on your fronts in perfect time with the natural recovery arc of your main. Remember, fast does not neccessarily translate into long.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

"rear riser input to get around the corner"
That shit sounds scary! I usually let up high enough for it to come out all on it's own.... Something else to figure out I guess....:( Damn this swooping shit is a never ending learning curve...LOL Will I ever reach the top of the mountain Sensay?
Clay