xvillix

Back Protector and Ski Jumping

Hello,

it is so that in ski jumping you are now allowed to use a back protector under your ski jumping suit (this hasn't been allowed earlier).

Its a lot of rules for the ski jumping suit. Among them, one is that its not allowed to exceed 3 cm of your body measurement on any given point of your body. But you are allowed to wear the back protector when body measured.

So thinking someone here have skydived (tracking) with or perhaps used a back protector for any other aerodynamic reasons, I would be happy if you could tell me your experiences. On what type of back protector, size etc.

The back protector will underneath the suit. So we are thinking that the wider, longer and flatter it is, the better. If anyone have any ideas for back protectors we should test out, please let me know.

BR.
a ski jumper.

(Sorry for putting ski jumping stuff in your skydiving forum)

I use a soloman back protector. I got the idea from speed riding. It fits under my jumpsuit, and I don't much notice it. In hindsight, I would size my suit with the back protector on.
My reasoning, is if I crash hard on my back, the reserve and AAD, could act as a fulcrum and injure my spine. I have no statistics to back up this theory.
I also wear a coccyx protector, for my all too common but landings.
dwh

dwhenline

I use a soloman back protector. I got the idea from speed riding. It fits under my jumpsuit, and I don't much notice it. In hindsight, I would size my suit with the back protector on.
My reasoning, is if I crash hard on my back, the reserve and AAD, could act as a fulcrum and injure my spine. I have no statistics to back up this theory.
I also wear a coccyx protector, for my all too common but landings.
dwh

Interesting, does it impact how much you can arch?

I have no statistic, but we have probably all heard second hand stories about people stalling out and reserve and breaking their backs because they landed on their reserve pack tray.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P