NeoX

Looking for first complete rig new or second-hand 170/190 - confused.com

I'm looking for my first rig and I've been researching and talking to various people at dropzones, and I'm still a little confused at all the choice and I'm still not decided whether to go for new or second-hand (e.g., I've had opposing opinions on this).

So, here's where I'm at. I'm 5'11", slim-normal build with 92 jumps. I'm looking for a 170 or 190 canopy ideally in a container that can downsize one level in the future. Ideally, I'd like a complete rig ready to jump, but I'm willing to buy separately if it results in a better overall rig and/or works out cheaper. My biggest fear is a fatal malfunction that could be avoided with newer technology, so I'd prefer a rig with a Skyhook if possible (which would limit me to certain container manufacturers).

My budget is ideally £2000 - £3000 for second-hand, but could pay more for the right rig or if I decide to go new.

Any general or specific advice would be very welcome especially regarding manufacturer opinions for canopy and container (the two main things I need but where there's the most choice).

The Pilot and Sabre2 canopies seem to be popular. I haven't noticed much favour towards any particular container manufacturer, though. Wings, Javelin, Icon, Aerodyne - they all seem to have their fans.

I posted this originally on a UK forum, but the response was minimal, hence reposting on this more international forum.

Thanks,
Neo
He's doing his Superman thing.

If you want a Skyhook (and I'll agree with this choice), then you are forgetting the Vector 3, which is the "original" skyhook-equipped rig, which later was licensed out to others, starting with Javelins, I believe.

All main manufacturers have strong reputation, I don't think that anything bad could be said of any of those you named.
If buying used, honestly you'll have overlook the brand name: finding a rig that will fit your body nicely, will have all the characteristics you want (a skyhook, in this case), will not be too old and in good shape will be hard enough, the specific brand will be of secondary importance. When buying used you want something that fits comfortably, that is safe and modern and, well, you can't afford to be too picky on brands and colors, it's already hard enough. My first used rig was a 2008 "girly pink" Vector 3, but heck: it was mint, inspected by a rigger that I 100% trusted, it has a skyhook, the canopies I needed already in it, it was perfect for me. People made fun of the colors for a couple of seconds until I told them how much I paid for it and went "oh shit, that's a deal".

If you want skyhooks, Javs and Vector 3 are your best bet because they are the most commons rig with one installed.
If you want the similar solution by Wings (I believe it's called "Boost"), then you can go for it.

If you go new, the biggest advantage hands down will be a custom fit rig, built specifically to your measures, it makes a difference that you can't even imagine in terms of comfort, running around with your rigs, sitting with it, pain at the end of the day, taking the occasional hard openings etc. If you ask me it's worth to consider buying a new container (custom fit harness) and everything else used, you only need to consider how fast you think you'll downsize because in that case investing on a new container might not be cost effective and buying used until you get to a size of canopies that you'll keep for a long time might make sense. The tradeoff will mainly be on comfort.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Hello Neo,

I see you jump at Hinton ( nr Oxford in the UK for our overseas brother and sisters :) ) then drop in and see Maddy at DZsports (the shop) and you can try the Jav with a Sabre 190 or Icon with the Pilot 188 ....they all are pretty new and you can rent them for a few days or week or more !

Everyone has their own personal choice as to which canopy they like or which container fits and feels better.

I liked the Icon so rented it for a few months (with a PILTO) and then bought it all new.

There are pro's and cons to buying new and second hand....again its all choice..

For me...I went for a Pilot as I really liked the way it opened and the response under canopy and (as I have a long torso) I really liked the fit of the Icon.

I opted to buy it all new and have been jumping it for 3 months and I definitely made the right choice :)
PM me if you need to. Happy to help.

PS - I opted for the Pilot in ther ZPX fabric - its packs 17% less than the standard fabric so I can down size 2 times with the same container.

I had a similar conflict in choices when I bought my rig early on. I know little to nothing about gear so what im posting isnt coming from me, but is coming from a dealer that helped me pick what I needed that I trust very much.

He said simply, like another poster has already mentioned, that one of the primary things to make sure is right is that the container harness fits you correctly.

I ended up buying all new except for my cypress. But he suggested that I buy my container new and the canopies used. If you are concerned with downsizing soon after you can get a container set for the size canopy below what you jump now and buy a pilot zpx or a pulse, they can typically fit in a d bag made for the size down.

I know alot of people are against that but it is an option. Hope everything works out and youre in the sky with your own gear soon!

It's been a year since I posted this thread, but I just want to say I now have a rig and thank you to everyone who gave advice on here.

In the end, I went for all new from Sunshine Factory in Z-Hills. I got a custom Jav with all options including Skyhook, plus Pilot 168 and PD Optimum 150, plus Vigil AAD.

Very very happy with it - picked it up a month ago, done six jumps on it now, and the openings are very nice, but do scare me a little at how slow they are. Sometimes I feel like I'm heading into a high-speed mal before I realise I've got a snivelly Pilot above me just taking its time ;)

He's doing his Superman thing.

Just a good idea to get some experience on your last chance before you really need it, especially at your wing loading and experience level. PD will send you one to try at a minimal cost.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.