Milo

What is the best DZ around Atlanta for a novice?

Hey All,
I'm going to be in Atlanta for work next week. It is going to be a hard(?) schedule, start work at 3 pm and work until midnight or later.
I may have time and energy to jump during the day in the week and I may also be able to enjoy the whole weekend there.
The office is on the North side of Atlanta. What DZs are nearby and may be open?
Thanks!
Milo

If you are on the North side of town, definitely check out Airsportz. They are open Thursday-Sunday. They are probably the closest DZ to you as well. You can find out more at their website http://www.airsportz.com Friday-Sunday they have a really sweet Porter for jumping. They are also novice friendly.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

ASC is advertising under about 15-20 different names on the web and in the phone book. They are claiming to be the only skydiving center in X miles and the only one with twin turbine aircraft in x miles. Basiclly, they are talking smack.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

It goes way beyond the sleezy advertising. I would never send a friend there. What's wrong with the place has been discussed to death in the past. Most of the disclaimers and warnings the other GA DZ's have on their websites are because of their other business practices. One of my favorites is charging a tandem deposit, and then telling students the additonal amount, instead of the total price.
The Dutchboy

"ASC is advertising under about 15-20 different names on the web"
I think the "Skydiving" magazine article said Carey owned 45-50 domain names. How bout over loading tandems...flat out lying to prospective students about current weather conditions so they will come out anyway and of course not refunding that deposit after you lied to them and got them to drive four hours in the pouring rain. The list is long.....I have seen more than one experienced jumper that got away from that DZ and then vowed to never go back. Even when it was 30 minutes from their house. Just like me...they'll drive twice as far to go to another DZ. That whole place is bad luck for me. One of the guys that owns/runs the airport rebuilt a plane my Dad used to own. I had to do a forced landing in South Georgia after the engine literally fell apart. It had less than 100 hrs since MAJOR!! I'll just steer clear of that whole place before it kills me...LOL :D
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

B| Come on out, goofyness- Ron IS a very cool guy-- so's Sandor, and most everyone else out there- we've got freeflyers and flatflyers for you to play with- :) Not coming to the banquet tonight for Sikung? How's the sky, CFI?
Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

You may be referring to me >>>
"Now where was that other person that thought we were all just blowing shit about Cedartown before????"
I never doubted anything anyone said I was just curious. I was aware of some of the things you guys said from the moment i arrived in cedartown. I chose to finish my AFF there and may still go back til I have my A. Its just comfortable for me there. The ownership and management of the place may not be great, but there are good instructors whom I feel comfortable and safe with.
I am however thinking of going out to Monroe this weekend and investigating a lil more about possibly doing my A there. Anyone here that can fill me in on the cost of rental gear there?? ASC is up to $25 per jump til you can pack and $20 after, with a $10 credit towards purchase of gear in the future from them. I have recently become temporarily unemployed and gotta watch the $$$.
Thanx,
Kwak

If Cedartown was close for you then Rome is probably much closer to you than Monroe. I'm in the Kennesaw area and it is about 45 miles (and 45 minutes) to Rome for me. Monroe is closer to 100 miles (and 90+ minutes) away. It is actually quicker for me to drive all the way down to Thomaston (98 miles) than to drive to Monroe.
The Dutchboy