AlanS

New Skydiver buying helmet question.

I've just got my A-license and after online research have concluded I want to get a Cookie G3 helmet. I've not had a chance to borrow anyone's from around my DZ, so here is my question.

Can I get this helmet just by ordering it online (chutingstar in this case) with the correct measurements, or should I really do some more research first.

If so, what type. How did other here approach getting their first helmet?

AlanS

I've just got my A-license and after online research have concluded I want to get a Cookie G3 helmet. I've not had a chance to borrow anyone's from around my DZ, so here is my question.

Can I get this helmet just by ordering it online (chutingstar in this case) with the correct measurements, or should I really do some more research first.

If so, what type. How did other here approach getting their first helmet?

If it's possible, buy a helmet locally so you can try it on first. Cookie's sizing chart was really bad for me and many others here. I chose the G3 because it's the brand that my local dealer had, so I could try it on.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Yes, you will want to try it on.. at LEAST try it on first, before you buy. I wanted a G3 too, honestly, because it looked cool and all the experienced skydivers wore them. Like a pack of hells angels or something, all in their G3's. I wanted to fit in (I'm not the most sociable person at first so I'm already struggling around the DZ to find my place) and so naturally that was one step in the right direction.

Then I went to Eloy. The Square2 pro shop there had demos that I could jump. They had G3's and Phantom X's and Bennies.. So naturally I tried out a G3. Found the right size for me and then - I hated it.

So I tried a PhantomX. Then I tried the G3 again and compared the two. I personally chose the PhantomX, but you might find that a G3 works for you... or a Factory Diver or any one of the numerous helmets that are available.

This is my long-winded way of saying hey, try different ones out first. Get what's right for YOU. :-)

I almost measured and ordered online until I saw some posts on here about sizes being more than just one measurement. I went in and tried one on and it just happened to be the one i measured in to. (XL) I would go try it on first either way. Only downside is I special ordered it 7 weeks ago and it still hasn't been shipped to the DZ retailer i ordered it from :(

BigMikeH77

Yes, you will want to try it on.. at LEAST try it on first, before you buy.

This is my long-winded way of saying hey, try different ones out first. Get what's right for YOU. :-)

I'm not aware of a local dealer for helmets where I jump. I'll ask the next time I'm there. Assuming there isn't one, what is the next best alternative?

AlanS

I'm not aware of a local dealer for helmets where I jump. I'll ask the next time I'm there. Assuming there isn't one, what is the next best alternative?

Try on your buddys' helmets. Go to a boogie where there are vendors and try those on.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

AlanS

I've heard that internet dealers will often send you 2 helmets in different sizes. You return the one that doesn't fit in un-jumped perfect condition.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

I've heard that internet dealers will often send you 2 helmets in different sizes. You return the one that doesn't fit in un-jumped perfect condition.

WHO DOES THAT ?

likestojump

WHO DOES THAT ?

I won't name names, but I was told that some of the biggest do it. It's not as outrageous as it sounds. They send you 2 helmets, on condition that they'll charge your card if you don't return 1 of them. Or they charge you for 2, you return 1 and they refund it. Pretty basic, no?

It's more of a preference imo. While others may fog easier due to poor ventilation especially with a full face. I liked the G3 it didn't fit too bad but with me having a big head, the large was too tight and the xl was loose. I tried on the Phantom X and it was just right so I went with the Phantom X. I would definitely try them on if your able too.

JeffCa

WHO DOES THAT ?

I won't name names, but I was told that some of the biggest do it. It's not as outrageous as it sounds. They send you 2 helmets, on condition that they'll charge your card if you don't return 1 of them. Or they charge you for 2, you return 1 and they refund it. Pretty basic, no?

Conceptually, yes, it's very straightforward. But I really meant for my statement to be just as straightfoward : I'd like to know which dealers do this. Please feel free to PM.

thanks !