skybytch

My kid is awesome

My son is in Kansas City, Missouri right now... He's into agriculture; was the chapter president for his school's FFA chapter for three years and is both the chapter and section secretary this year. He went to a "Range Management" summer camp last year, was the top camper and won a free trip to KC attend the Society for Range Management's annual convention.
Besides a bit of sightseeing and meeting people from around the country who share his interests, he had to give a 6-8 minute presentation on a subject related to range management... what he didn't know until Friday night was that the presentation was going to be in front of 300 people - including two from the Hearst family, who own a large ranch in the small town he spent his first 10 years in. Can you say "scared"??? But he drew on what he learned doing his first jump last month and broke through the fear to get up there and do it! I'm sooooo proud of him...
He finds out this evening how well he did - the top five get a free trip to Washington DC later this year :)Okay, all done braggin' about my kid.... for now.... :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

Kids are the greatest thing going. Drove a little over 1200 miles this past summer so mine could make a Tandem. (underage) I was worried of course but he did great. Last week he showed me a copy of a trade magazine he subscribes to. He had a letter published. I was very proud of his writing skills. He never ceases to amaze me. Physically he is a little hunk. Starting to date. He is surprised how "expensive" women can be. I can't help but laugh at that one. Kids only get better. I loved the newborn stage, the toddler stage, the T-ball stage, and now he can carry on an intelligent conversation. Can't wait until he starts jumping. (The ex-wife isn't crazy about it but what the hell) So... glad to hear you love your boy. Take care, best wishes and maybe we will make it out your way one day.

Congrats....Thats not the easiest thing in the world. I got an award once....They keep it a suprise until your in the middle of dinner. Then I got to stand up and accept this award and had to give sort of an imromptu speech to about 200-300 people. Just me....at the podium....trying not to look like a complete jackass.....:D I did OK.....
"I only have 131 jumps, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

Yup, he rocks :)He got back Monday night; had a great time, didn't win with his presentation but he was really impressed with everybody he met. He spent 45 minutes talking one on one with a professor from Texas A&M and hours talking one on one with big time ranchers from around the US. All the other high school age kids there were from big time ranching families; he was the only one who didn't live on a ranch... and the only one there representing California. What he really loved was that all the adults treated the kids like they were adults, didn't talk down to them at all, and the other kids were nothing like the ones he goes to school with (as he put it - "no drama" :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

Some kids start working at a young age and it's not work for them. They just enjoy being out with their folks or whatever workin the land. It's also called respect. I know generalizations suck but I don't think the word is used enough amongst younger people these days..............LOL.......Make sure he keeps up the good work. Should make you feel like a good mom.
B|SebB|

Sounds like a great kid, Lisa. They're definitely worth it. I've got a couple of daughters. I always wanted a boy but things didn't work out that way. So I did my best to make Tom-boys out of them. They grew up hunting, fishing, and riding horses here in Montana. One made her first tandem two years ago. It didn't scare her a bit. She's got more guts than I do. The other one will make her first tandem this summer. I hope to swoop in and get a little RW time with her. Can't wait. I've got two old friends that will take her up. One as tandem master and the other on camera.