Viking

Flipping on your back in Student gear safe or no??

If it's a ripcord deployment system then it's probably pretty safe. If it's throw-out (not sure if they make telesis2 as a throw-out), then you really need to make sure it's a freefly-friendly set-up.
Oddly, a ripcord with a spring-loaded PC is more freefly friendly than any BOC throw-out (much less chance of premature or out-of-sequence deployment). but does any FFer use one? nah.... they're for students and uncool.

yer i did all my student jumps on that type of rig and my instructors actually told me to go on my back :) (this was after id finished aff) the rig will be 99.999999% fine the only thing you have to watch for is your burble
the only thing you learn at school is to memorize

Ditto....Upside down...flips....even tried sit flying (found out the hard way why booties and sit flying don't mix)....my favorite exit is a backward exit so I can watch the plane fly away....i did all of this between 8 and 18 jumps on student status....still am...at 20 jumps.....so what the hell do i know. B|
Dan

I would assume that with all student gear it ought to be alright to fly on your back. I mean, its bound to happen that students will end up on there back sometimes on accident. When I was on student status we had old dolphins with velcro riser covers, which were always coming loose. I ended up on my back on a couple jumps and nothing bad ever happened... knock on wood...

is it safe for me to flip on my back and try to stay there for a couple secs

you do mean in the air ?? ... would sure be afraid to do it on the ground around most dz's ... LOL ...
seriously tho ... the student rigs I was "brought up on" .. riser covers would hardly stay tucked no matter what ... but I never had any problems as a result ... and did end up flying on my back for a while when I decided to see if I could do a slo-mo flip ...

Well, I guess manufacturers (certainly for static-line courses) kinda depend on you to get on your back every once in a while.
My second free fall I started spinning in all directions, great vieuw: green - blue - green - blue - green - blue! yes PULL - auch! damn, should have pulled at green!
One advise I can give you: pull belly down, I've been doing it ever since! lol
Will jump for beer, bs AiRpollUtiOn

Student rigs are designed to deploy reliably in a variety of body positions. But students are still encouraged to pull on their bellies.
How's that for political correctness?
The Telesis II is well designed for sit-flying.
Telesis Mk I was designed long before sit-flying came into fashion. The worst thing that is liekly to happen is pin covers blowing open. As long as your riggers and packers have a clue, pins should stay securely in place until you pull handles.

Yep, Telesis is a fine rig. Just remember to check the pilot chute routing, velcro if it is on the leg, and the closing pin is snug.
I've been flying on my back in a Telesis rig many times. I was usually thinking "what the hell am I doing here" more than "is the rig safe."
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

I'll put it this way. I have a 1995 Dolphin container. I have about 100 Free fly jumps on it. I've never had the slightest problem. No riser covers, no Bridal cover (Scary) I think it's all in the way you pack it. I am aware of the risks and I pack accordingly. As Chuck once was over heard to say..."If ya packed it right in the first place. You wouldn't have had that problem!" I believe it......However, my next rig will have all the FF friendly bells and whistles.
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

"master RW"
Well...that...in a true sense will never happen. I see people with 10,000 jumps that still bitch at themselves after a jump. I don't think it's possible to "Master" skydiving. You may get better but never master it.....you will always be learning. From first jump to last. Especially that last one...;)
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay