wndrer73

Freefalling or under canopy?

has nobody noticed this and told you to get your head out of the sand and realize you need to be pulling higher?

Yes, he knows what he is doing. He has a small amount of jumps yet it is supervised with instructors making sure everything is safe. He passed his AFF within like 7 jumps completing each dive flow and standing up every landing. His 12th jump was a 10 Way Instructor Supervised. Who else has done that.
He is also a Commercial Pilot. So he is not the everyday skydiver. Case closed.
Nathan

being a pilot gives him advantages but is there going to be an instructor there taking grips, giving him the pull signal etc etc when he has his first malfunction? what if its a high speed? that leaves him with about 10 seconds until impact... or even a partial mal.. their VERY PERSONAL experiences, and the people around you can only stay there for so long (theyve got to deploy too) and they cant really help you when youre facing a scary situation.
sorry, but i think pulling that low without a lot of experience or jumps (note i didnt say skill~youre attention to his passing AFF in 7 jumps, standing landings up, doing bigways) is just plain dangerous.
Why does he have to go that low? Nobody does, but its the more experienced jumpers that have the experience to make that decision to go low.
case isnt closed..
http://kel197.tripod.com/skydivefriendsTRIPOD/

that sounds wrong..
im not attacking his skill. he's obviously got it from what you say...
but his experience doesnt back up pulling that low. and instructors cant help him live, they cant fix a malfunction for him, no matter what the movies may say

Yah, I didn't clarify my post enough, the 2k pulls were not intentionally that low, more of a mind blur on my part, and not something I plan on repeating for awhile. Luckily nobody seems to have noticed those, and they got filed in the "I learned from that without getting embarrassed" section.

Having not so many jumps to my name I personally like the feeling of freefall right now. The feeling of flipping and rotating is much more appealing right now that taking it slow on the way down.
Please note I have never done a sunset load :(
Who ever said comming down from a high was bad obviously never tried this.
Peter Rodrigues

ahh... alright, so you went low on accident.. we've all done it, we all do it, and we will all do it again...
but do you seriously pull at 2.5 normally? I just want to make sure you realize that that is Low, at least for your (and my) experience level..
I dont want to hear that somebody from here (or anywhere) went low, had a mal and freaked out.. that could be the end of you.. dont want that. not at all.
but we do skydive with the expectation that were going to have a mal on every jump. its what helps keep us heads up. You really dont want to be in a situation where youre facing a malfunction at 2.5 or below. Next time you jump, look down. think about it.. do you really want to be seeing 'garbage' or worse off, fighting a horseshoe mal or a pilot chute in tow at that altitude?
just want you to be as safe as possible

I totally love freefall. Using just your body to fly and disconnected form this planet. If you get the chance do a high altitude jump from 23k. Around 2 minutes of freefall time. B| way cool!!!!!
Idiocy = Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I totally agree with you Kelly and I know Spy does too. He has had discussions about iot and knows to pull at 3k max. I was just sticking up for the guy because yes he is new but he knows the safety requirements and he does not go low all the time and knows not to even do it some of the time until he way a few hundred more jumps.
That is why I said case closed. No disrespect. But I can see where you are coming from for others who read it. Pull high unless it is an absolute emergency. I am always open by 2,5k. My hard deck is 2k.
Nathan