rapaz

Rigging loft special tool research

Hello I want some feedback on this, Im working on a very portable ( lets say a pelican case 1500) permeability machine to measure in betwen 0/30 CFM (cubic feet minute) on reserves, the final cost I think probably will be something similar to one AAD (uss1500), how many rigging lofts or riggers will be interested to get one?

The comercial Brands are huge, heavy and expensive (9k uss)

Tanks a lot

The one used by Strong Enterprises is LT $700. Small and portable. In Australia you can rent one for $30A a week. Already used in other FAA applications.

When I demonstrated one for the PIA Rigging committee nobody was interested.

Discussion went like....
What would a field permeability test do for us? A customer wouldn't want to send a PD reserve in early based on a field test. And we have no basis for knowing what a good number is versus a bad number. Especially in relation to the instruments used by the manufacturers. And how long would it take to pay back the cost? When would we suggest doing a test and what could we charge?

Don't get me wrong. As a rigging and tool geek I'd like to have one. But don't see how it would change what I do other than perhaps give me information to help retire reserves other than PD. But right now I'm not willing to spend $700 on one let alone $1500.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

When I demonstrated one for the PIA Rigging committee nobody was interested.

I must not have been there that day.

Aerostar (Balloons) had a portable tester, but the problem was it measured pressure under 10" of water, instead of the 0.5" most canopy fabric is spec'd to.

Wim DeVos also had a permeability tester made of PVC pipe, a variable-speed vacuum cleaner and an Altimaster-2.

Mark

Tanks Terry for your info, do you have more specif about the Strong machine , I would like to know if that kind of aparatus with aaltimeter can meet the 125 Pascales or .5 inch of water differential, I think the regular altimeter are not the right tool to meet that.
Im building one more similar to the Frazier one
Tanks