SmokinJoeKS

new sizes of Dacron?

I have researched the forums here and notice that some jumpers who have relined their canopies with Dacron say that the Dacron lines are bulkier than Spectra but not by very much, and don't make a huge difference in pack volume.

I haven't had a Dacron-lined canopy since my old Pegasus DOM 1982. Are these current Dacron lines a new design or size that is less bulky than the old Dacron?

They are probably comparing 500 Dacron with 825 pound Spectra.

Old-style Dacron suspension lines came in a wide variety of strengths. Dacron suspension lines came into fashion as the first square parachutes were perfected during the 1970s. Dacron's greatest advantage was its low stretch (compared with nylon), which helped keep square canopies in trim for hundreds of jumps.
Tensile strength ranged from 500 pounds to 1500 pounds. 500 pound Dacron did not last all that long, while 1500 pound suspension lines were more likely to be found on tandem mains.

Outside of skydiving, you can find Dacron cord ranging in strength from a few dozen pounds to thousands of pounds.

There also is 400 lb Dacron around. Hasn't worked out so well on super lightweight Base canopies though... Some breakage issues.

A much as the average jumps knows, including me, there haven't been any big advances in dacron line technology lately.