mereanarchy

Putting together a new (to me) rig, so confusing!

so I have been looking at different rig components, and the manufacturers charts on what fits what, and am officially confused... lol. (Edit: this discussion is for either new or used gear, but more related to the puzzle of putting it all together)

Currently I am looking at a Vector3 container. Would like to put a PD253 reserve for now, and a Pulse 230, but still have reasonable downsize abilities, like going to a Pulse 210, or a regular volume 190?
My current exit weight is 240, and I have around 60 jumps.

What the heck size container should I be looking at?
On this chart: http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/CHART_00037___Rig_Sizing_Chart.pdf
It makes it it look like if I want a PD253, I can't have that "small" of a main, but the wingloading would be a respectable one?
Am I better off going looking at a PD235 reserve? My concern here is that is max exit weights: http://www.performancedesigns.com/pdreserve.asp as I am not an advanced skydiver, obviously.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What about a used one? Your jump number isn't very hight yet, and since i expect you to jump quite a lot there might be soon the time you want to get a smaller, more responsive canopy. If you buy everything new, maybe even by the time everything is ready it might not be the right thing for you. Think about a used one: you don't loose a lot of money, on new gear on the first jumps just like a car the value goes down quickly. Since it's gonna be a beginners rig you can sell it very easily and quickly to get another one. And that way you can also see if you actually like that kind of container without having too much risk, you're gonna sell it again anyway. Talk to your instructors about it. Blue Skies :-)

Edited because i'm too stupid to write corrently ;-)

Please contact the manufacturers. THEY ALL want to help you with this (lol it's how they dig the Sales Talons in deeper). And talk to your DZ's riggers and instructors about which options and set ups would be best for you - AND WHY. There is always give and take on varying options. GL
Woot Woot!

I think it is best to tell them what you're going to put in it, and that you want the fit to be "just right/normal". Let them tell you/decide the container size.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

if you are buying all new gear (which i wouldn't recommend for a first rig), you could spend a couple hundred more and get a 253 pd optimum reserve, which would pack as small as a pd 235 (perhaps even another size smaller, but don't quote me). the smaller reserve container size would probably get you into a smaller main container size.

but like someone else mentioned, if you call upt, they would be more than happy to help you out.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001