nkdbear

Nooby canopy advice

Hey guys,

I almost have my a-lisence (just need to take my a-lisence exam). Currently I'm jumping with a 220 rental parachute from my dropzone. I'm thinking of putting some money together to get a rig of my own, and as far as canopy's go, im pretty lost, should I be looking to reduce the size of my canopy first?

anyway, if anyone can help that would be awesome!

- Thanks

Sometimes I think the dropzone population at large are unclear on the distinction between "trolling" and "FAQ".

This would appear to be the latter. Give the new people a break, maybe?

To the original poster: This is a question that comes up very frequently, and there are some good threads and articles on dropzone.com about it. The search engine (top right hand corner) will turn them up and provide you with more information than you could possibly want... have a look, then come back with the more specific questions that all that information overload will no doubt generate ;)

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Depending on your exit weight and number of jumps a 220 is likely to be on the large side for a first canopy but without more info it's hard to tell. If you are a big person then 220 may work for you but if you are a tiny little person then it may be big. What other canopies does the DZ have that you may be able to test? What is your exit weight? Speak to your instructors about a first rig that would be suitable for you above all else. I'm 6'2" and 80 kilos. I had a 200sq ft 7 cell, followed by a 170, 9 cell (at c. 100 jumps) then a 150 sq ft Sabre at c. 260 jumps. I'm still on a 150. Don't be in a rush to downsize but try and buy something that you can enjoy...

Edited to amend jump numbers

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

The best advice you can get is from those at your DZ, where ever that may be. No one here knows you. Those that have been working with you in person can better guide you in your decision on what gear you should buy. Talk with your AFF instructors, the Master Rigger or even the DZO, because you not getting busted up is good for business. DO NOT buy anything until the rigger looks it over and gives you the go ahead.