grue

Experience with Nitron at moderate wingloading (1.4ish)?

While I'm not yet at a point where I particularly feel like downsizing, due to some significant weight loss I expect I'll be ready for something a bit smaller later this year. I'm currently on a Fusion 190 (and I had a Fusion 210 before this), which I was loading at a 1.5 but now down below a 1.3 That said, I'm not looking to jump into something super high performance that I can't use if I want to jump in a big group or while wearing a wingsuit, just maybe a bit more… interesting?

The Fusion apparently just being a Nitron with less taper and no hot dogs, or so I'm lead to believe, it seemed logical that for my next downsize I could demo a Fusion 170 for a couple of dozen jumps and then buy a Nitron so I'm not downsizing and going to a more radical planform at the same time.

So anyway I guess I'm just curious as to how people like the Nitron at loadings that aren't super high, and if you'd consider it worthwhile for someone not looking to swoop 600 feet, just wanting a canopy that'll give predictable openings, a good glide, and a good flare while still being responsive enough to get the blood pumping a bit as I learn it more.
cavete terrae.

I've put some jumps on the Nitron 150 at 1.4. Great openings, flat glide, sporty turns and very powerful flare, that just keeps giving and giving. The Nitron becomes a bit spicy when loaded in the 1.6+ range.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

I've put some jumps on the Nitron 150 at 1.4. Great openings, flat glide, sporty turns and very powerful flare, that just keeps giving and giving. The Nitron becomes a bit spicy when loaded in the 1.6+ range.

Excellent, that's what I like to hear! B| Anything you didn't like about it?
cavete terrae.

I put a bunch of jumps on a Nitron 150 last summer loaded at just under 1.4 followed by a same size Stiletto. Prior to that I was on a Safire2. The Nitron openings reminded me a great deal of the Safire, soft and on heading. I psycho pack and am definitely a trash packer but had zero issues on two different borrowed Nitrons, always beautiful openings and a ton of flare. I ended up buying a Fusion 150 in anticipation of wingsuit flying, but wouldn't hesitate to jump a Nitron for any other jump.

I realize that the Nitron is an elliptical canopy, but I don't think given its aspect ratio and flight characteristics that the gap between Fusion and Nitron is as great as the gap between a Fusion and other elliptical canopies like a Stiletto or Katana.