chanti

Square to semi-elliptical - what to expect

Hey guys - I need some info please.

I've done all my 226 jumps on a square canopy and this weekend I will be trying out a semi-elliptical for the first time. What changes in flight characteristics can I expect?

Note: I am not downsizing - I'm happy with my 150 sq ft as I have to wear weights for 4-way and that makes my wing-loading about 1.2:1. I'm also quite conservative under canopy (don't hook-turn, do straight-in approaches, etc)

Thanks for your input! :)

-Chanti-

I'm assuming you've been on something ZPish, and are going to something Pilotish.

1. Slower openings with more likelyhood of off heading deployment.

2. Slightly faster and more progressive toggle response. Slight oversteer on toggle input.

3. More input symetry required for landing.(as a result of the faster toggle response)

It's a good step. Most of the semi's (Pilot, Sabre 2, Safire, Safire 2) do an excellent job of engineering the "bad" eliptical charecteristics out.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I'm assuming you've been on something ZPish, and are going to something Pilotish.

Almost! ;) I've got a ZP EXE and was going to try a Hurricane (is that not semi?)

1. Slower openings with more likelyhood of off heading deployment.

That's OK, I get off-heading openings on my ZP anyway! :D

I'm looking for something that gives a bit more lift. The ZP EXE has a very steep angle of attack.

-Chanti-

The Hurricane is a full eliptical. (regardless of what PS says.)

Like the ZP, it flies nose down and has very poor glide on full drive and needs to be ridden in deep brakes to cover any ground at all. The Hurricane 105 uses an identical lineset to the Stilleto 107, down to the millimeter, which makes this behavior most odd, as the Stilleto is one of the flattest flying wings out there.

I jumped Chris's for a time and found it to be a terrible canopy that opened hard, had heavy toggle pressure and heavy riser pressure by comparison to my Stilleto. He, on the other hand, loved it. It does swoop well in it's class, and I'm sure you will find many South Africans who have not jumped many other canopies tell you how good it is. I can see no point in jumping one if you don't swoop.

Edit to add: Try and determine why your ZP opens off heading. If it has anything to do with body position during deployment, I would suggest you solve that problem prior to jumping an eliptical canopy.

t

I can see no point in jumping one if you don't swoop.

Would you rather recommend the Pilot for someone like me? That is the other canopy I was considering.

Edit to add: Try and determine why your ZP opens off heading.

I sent it to PS the other day and Chris made some alterations to the left brake line at the cascades which made it better than it was before, but still not 100%. I have 2 female friends who have switched from ZP EXE to Hurricane and they are much happier - say the input is better especially with flaring which is the other problem I'm having with the EXE

-Chanti-

I'm constantly surprised with what people are satisfied with, and why they are satisfied.

In the mid 1980's, I was satisfied with a 220 sq ft, 7 cell, non ZP with dacron lines. Why? It was reliable, fast, (for it's day) was fine for RW, CRW, ammature accuracy and even did duty "slope soaring" (That's ground launching to the rest of you) and landed me safely. It was all - no - more - than I needed.

Those canopies have not changed, but my frame of reference, and my requirements and expectations have.

I suggest you demo as many different canopies from as many different manufacturers as you can around your current wing loading. By all means try the Pilot and the Hurricane. but see if you can demo other recent generation canopies too.

Only you will know whether you like a canopy or not.

Edit to add: My experiences with elipticals and semi elipticals is in the 1.85 wing loading range, and without exception all performed the inputs I required, but had slight differences in the way they delivered.

t

Would you rather recommend the Pilot for someone like me? That is the other canopy I was considering.

I would 100%. You don't want to swoop. You say you want a flatter trimmed wing with good glide.

The pilot has excellent glide in full flight, and it only gets better when you pull down the slider, open your chest strap, and play with the rear risers.

It opens a little slower than I like, but the openings are very consistent. They are soft and tend to open on heading.

It flat turns well given the right inputs, but it can also be a lot of fun when you push it.

It has a good flare, and there is no problem shutting it down in no wind days. I also have had no problem shutting it down on an occasional intentional down winder.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P