smiles

Anybody tried -Kloofing??

Was reading an article today on Kloofing ???????
Defy Death! Venture into the heart of darkness-
Cape Town (Cape Fear).......South Africa.
If you are the kind of person who prefers a syringe full of adrenaline to a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast, then head to the southern tip of Africa for a vacation jam-packed with diaper-filling fun.
What is kloofing?
Basically it's bungee jumping without the cord.
You hike down a gorgeous, pristine mountain through a river all the way to the bottom, jumping off waterfalls along the way.
Some leaps are 50 ft.
A few things to keep in mind when you jump:
-If your legs separate before entry, it nearly guarantees a painful enema. (Safety precaution: stuff a plastic bag down your shorts.)
-If you put your arms out to brace the fall, they'll smack the water, and dislocate shoulders.
-Entering at an angle means you'll probably have the wind knocked out of you. (Some Kloofers have reportedly coughed up blood after a jump.)
-Of course, you definitely don't want to enter the water straight either- you'll cut through, hit bottom, and bust your legs.
Day trippers will take you on a trip down suicide Gorge, as long as you're willing to sign your life away with a release form. Suicide Gorge is too narrow for a First-Aid helicopter to land, and after the initial 33 ft. jump off Commitment Falls, the only way out is dowwwwnnnnnn.
Wahoo! That's fun for $42 (gravity included)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smiles.

Entering at an angle means you'll probably have the wind knocked out of you. (Some Kloofers have reportedly coughed up blood after a jump.)

Yes, I will vouch for that. I ended up in the ER when I was on a camping trip in the mountains at age 16 for jumping off a 15-20 ft. ledge and hitting the water completely wrong. Also hit a floating log that we were trying to clear. Broke 2 ribs, and 2 fingers (from the log). Very stupid.
...my parents might still have that stupid example of what not to do on video...i wish i had the resources to digitize it...
"If I could be like that, I would give anything, just to live one day, in those shoes..."

i never been to hospital but ive done it alot there is an old mine near my house full of water used to jump off that all the time a couple times got very close to the wall and ledges and a couple times landed at an angle and couldnt breath
Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one, the only one that does you any good is yours and all that comes out is shit

...my parents might still have that stupid example of what not to do on video...i wish i had the resources to digitize it...
everyone had such a riot except one jumper who decided to cut away his main about 20 ft.- It was my turn to help in the boat (pull jumpers out of the water) and watched as jumper hit the water with legs separated.................(there was blood coming out his nose & mouth- internal injuries....)
Talk about stupid ??????????????????
Smiles.

Ja, or you can do the poor man's version, called 'bush diving'. It involves getting horribly drunk and then diving into bushes, trees, dongas, off crevices etc. Also, lots of fun and the best part is when you do get hurt you are already anaesthetized and feel no pain! :D
Will
"Look before you jump, don't die until you're dead"

Yeah,
Tried something simmilar in Switzerland caller canyoning. Running amuck in a gorge hig in the Alps, diving off the falls and body surfing rapids. Pretty cool until about 20 folks were caught up there in a flash flood a couple years back, not sure if it's still going on anymore.
;)

I don't think I've done 50', but I went off the 10 meter platform plenty of times back when I was swimming, and also a bunch of waterfalls in the North Carolina mountains.
I've seen how awful it can be when you hit wrong. When I was at LSU, one of our divers hit her face on the water after going off the 10 meter platform, and burst a bunch of blood vessels in her eye, and her face was swollen and bruised for a couple weeks. Not a pretty sight!
Andrea
I'm high as a kite
I just might
Stop and check you out.

The thing that makes kloofing in the Cape freaky is that the water is dark. You have no idea how deep it is.
It takes a leap of faithB|.
I did Suicide Gorge when I was about 15-16 years old.
I wonder if I would do it now?
Every day above ground is a good day.