lippy

Things to do on really, really windy weekends

#1-go to the nearest major airport, walk up to a commercial ticket counter in full gear, and demand to be put on a load. Once security lets you leave, go drink beer.
#2-Practice RW exits from a slow-moving van with the door open. Once all injuries are dealt with, go drink beer.
#3-Attach old sleeping bags to some old Para-Commanders, and have 'sled-dog' races accross landing area. For post-dragging recovery, see post-injury recovery from #2.
#4-Tie your chest strap to a piece of rope, and the other end to a buddy's car. Drive the car up and down the run-way, towing the airborn canopy. Once the blood is cleaned off the runway, go drink beer.
#5-Have creeper races in the hangar, inter-mingled with drinking beer.
#6-Sit around the DZ, bitching about the weather with other jumpers, and..... DRINK BEER!!!!!
-I live like a poor man, so I can play like a rich one,
Roger

Did you happen to be at Quincy in.....I think '94? When the guys were jumping off the roof of the RV on that bad, bad overcast day? There's the line of folks holding out their arms for these brave men to jump into.....they did great for a while, then one guy went to the hospital when he broke his leg jumping on the hood of this rental car.....then another guy jumped off, tucked up his legs and missed their arms completely......landed on his face on the ground.....2nd trip to this hospital in about 30 minutes......it was frickin' hilarious! Gawd, I love brave men.....the way they give me something to do when I'm bored.....
Eve was framed!
http://home.earthlink.net/~linzwalley

#4-Tie your chest strap to a piece of rope, and the other end to a buddy's car. Drive the car up and down the run-way, towing the airborn canopy. Once the blood is cleaned off the runway, go drink beer.

Ever watch Maximum Exposure? I saw these yokels do something similar out in the desert, except they used a carabiner attached off center (looked like the righthand three-ring). He got airborne behind their van just fine but he had to give tons of right toggle to keep it flying straight. When it came time to land the thing, the van was going to slow down, he would undo the carabiner, and make a smooth landing. Of course, to do this he had to drop the toggles. The canopy started banking left and he spent the rest of the trip to the ground trying to disconnect the tow line.
He only broke his leg, but had to lay there in the desert for almost an hour while an ambulance came for him.
--
Brian

I did something like this in heavy winds. I attached a line from my risers to an aircraft tie down, my friends helped launch the canopy into heavy winds.. I flew for a few minutes, before it got boring.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

i was told of a messy incident when a canopy was tied to a bike.... that didn't last very long so it was transferred to the back of a truck for a parasailing-like event... needless to say when teh wind suddenly dropped off... oops...
Stacy
http://users.snip.net/~stacy