AggieDave

Take me down to the river...

As I was asked in another thread, yup I did go float down the river, I'm back. :)Yesterday proved once again that just about the most fun you can have in the San Antonio area is go to float down the Guadalupe River with some good friends and a large amount of beer.
Went to Gruene, Texas, floated down the river with my Corps outfit (for the last time as a cadet) with a bit over a case of Miller Lite in my cooler. 5 hours later I came out of the river (with help) with out any beer left and a nice tan. There were some great times, jumping off of a 40ft bridge into the river, almost getting arrested jumping off the bridge, catching a turtle, sharing old stories with good friends and most of all, spending the day with people who are closer to you then even your family is.
Got out of the river, ate at the Griste Mill (for those of you who know what that is or what Greune Hall is :)If you live in Texas and haven't floated the river before, you must do this, its a Texas summer tradition.
If a group of jumpers wanted to go float the river sometime this summer.
Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize

oookay...not drooling here, much to Aggie's relief, I hope :P
but we call that "tubing" here in Maryland. I've gone tubing on the Gunpowder and the Antietam...Unfotunately I've never done it properly...With another inner tube supporting a keg of beer!!:D society has too many rules...
Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"

I have to post these lyrics...this is one of my favorite songs...
THE RIVER
I come from down in the valley
where mister when you're young
They bring you up to do like your daddy done
Me and Mary we met in high school
when she was just seventeen
We'd ride out of that valley down to where the fields were green
We'd go down to the river
And into the river we'd dive
Oh down to the river we'd ride
Then I got Mary pregnant
and man that was all she wrote
And for my nineteenth birthday I got a union card and a wedding coat
We went down to the courthouse
and the judge put it all to rest
No wedding day smiles no walk down the aisle
No flowers no wedding dress
That night we went down to the river
And into the river we'd dive
Oh down to the river we did ride
I got a job working construction for the Johnstown Company
But lately there ain't been much work on account of the economy
Now all them things that seemed so important
Well mister they vanished right into the air
Now I just act like I don't remember
Mary acts like she don't care
But I remember us riding in my brother's car
Her body tan and wet down at the reservoir
At night on them banks I'd lie awake
And pull her close just to feel each breath she'd take
Now those memories come back to haunt me
they haunt me like a curse
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
Or is it something worse
that sends me down to the river
though I know the river is dry
That sends me down to the river tonight
Down to the river
my baby and I
Oh down to the river we ride

Oh, yeah, shirtless it was.
Just me in a tube in a pair of BDU cutoffs and a beat up old cowboy hat, oh and a beer in my hand...with a cooler tube tied to mine, with a bit over a case of Miller Lite in it...;)
Chromie, for me it was "Carry On" by Pat Green:
Baby's just a little bit tired of the city
Billboards and bulls*** got her down
Seems like you need a little hill country
A little back roads drivin'
A little bit of the old top down
Everybody gotta get away sometime
Forget about yourself for awhile
Seems to me that all you need
Is a rag top car and a ride with me
Okay, all right
Just might get a little high tonight
Okay, all right, carry on
Old Walt Wilkins lives up in Nashville
You know his eyes have seen the miles
Walt, why don't you jump in Jim T.'s Caddie
Come down to Texas and drink with me awhile
We'll go down to El Arroyo
Have some tacos and beer, yeah, let ourselves go
Okay, all right
Just might try to get a ride tonight
I'm okay, I'm all right, carry on
Life will make sure that you got your troubles
Life will make sure that you work too hard
There ain't nobody that don't get tired
Watching troubles pile up big in your own backyard
Sometimes you got to grab your world with your own two hands
Set it spinning off on a course all your own
Take yourself a big bag for your shoulder
Find yourself some good times and bring 'em on back home
If you lay your whole life upon a shelf
Got no one to blame but your own damn self
Okay, all right
Heaven only knows what's going to happen tonight
I'm okay, I'm all right, I'm okay, I'm all right
I'm okay, I'm all right, I'm okay, I'm all right, carry on
Aerials
So up high

AggieDave, when I was in college at the other Texas Uni. UT I used to work as a guide on the Guadalupe. I used to spend my entire summers down there. On my off days I'd scuba around the falls and you could never imagine all the stuff you find. I think most summers I never EVER had to buy beer, because the "tube-monkeys" would always spill case after case to the river god. Also found a few rolexes, diamond ear rings, ect.. some sex toys.. you name it, it was at the bottom of "Horseshoe" falls.
One time we had our campsite up on the side of a nice wooded area closer to the top of river road, right around the "Devils Playground" falls once you sped through those you came out to a long stretch of calm waters. We built a small tree stand that would hold 4 or 5 of us and a buncha beer in it. The tree stretched out over the water to about the middle of the river and up about 35' above it. We'd have water balloons and cannons along with 5-gal buckets of cold river water up there with us. Just past it was a WhiteWater pickup point so the people floating under us had been in the water {with an average temp in summer of 72deg.} freezin for about 4 to 6 hours.. :D it was a good time. "Show Us Your Tits" was a mainstay chant so as not to get drenched with our buckets and if your boyfriend said something he'd get swamped too. HAHA :D my brothers and I really pissed this one guy off so he decided he was going to climb the tree and kick our asses.. He made the wrong move "Bev" a {can I call her a woman?} woman who was working with us at the outfitters told him to get away from the tree or she was going to break his leg.. Welp he wound up going to the hospital with a broken leg. Bev didn't do it, he was pretty wasted on beer and slipped on the tree crashed through some sticker bushes and landed on the bank about 20' feet below. :D
Well that was one story I have many many more about that river.. I seriously think we HAVE to get a group of skydivers together and make a trip for a weekend. Just not during a holiday weekend or it might be hard to find camping spaces. I used to have a contact at the Lazy L & L outfitters. I may see if he still lives up there. If so let's think about planning a trip for all the Texas Skydivers and any others brave enough to party with us..... Theres nothing better on a super hot day in Texas then lazily floating down the river guzziling brew and soaking up the sunshine.. One thing I WILL NOT GO IN A TUBE!! Call me what you will I rode the river in those one to many times and prefer a small 2 or 4 man raft.. That way your brew stays safe.
Blues
My New Website with 24hr Chat

We usually catch the river in New Braunfels, I agree Dave, nothin like a lazy day on the river with BEER.
BTW, Pat Green RULES.
Have you ever heard Rodney Hayden, he's one of Robert Earls proselytes, The kid is great. We usually catch him at the White Elephant in Fort Worth.
Check this out, you may've already seen it.
James

tubes .... rafts .... ????? BORING

Exactly!
That is exactly what I needed after a very hard series of finals and it was great. :)Gary, I'm going to put together a river trip for Houstonites sometime in June, if you would like to join us, I would be very happy to have you join us! :)Aerials
So up high

I can understand that ... some of my friends are diehard tubers after one canoe trip ... claim they didn't have enough time for beer drinking in the canoe ... LOL. I'd love to head up there with a bunch ... as long as it's not during the state record attempt, or while I'm in N.C. for my nephew's wedding! Bring that harp along ... :)As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?