lyosha

Rig advice for a tall person?

Are those as useful as the sales pitch for them makes them out to be?

To me, it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. It may help with rigs that have chronic issues with riser covers, but besides that...

Re Wings specifically: I can't recall a single instance of my having issues with my Wings with regular tuck tabs in about 2000 jumps.
Remster

Deyan

Your assumption is wrong. The highest force I ever measured is 26 lbs. ( 16-18 average) If that's not much, I don't know what it is! Now most people will tell you that this is not much, and they will probably be right until you will have to bail out of a hot air balloon.:S

Much easier. 1-2 lbs at max.

So wings reserve boost is better than skyhook? (and you actually measured how much force it takes to get the lanyard to slip off of both?)

lyosha

So wings reserve boost is better than skyhook?

I never said that it's better (or worse)! All I said is that it take much less force to disconnect!

(and you actually measured how much force it takes to get the lanyard to slip off of both?)

Yes
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Deyan,

1-2 lbs at max.

I tried to determine this effort with the RAX system, but could not get even a one ounce load measured.

Unless there is a LOT of tension on the loop, the load forces to pull the pin simply are insignificant.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jerry,

That's true! But if you try to pull in the opposite direction, you will get a pound or two. Remember that there's no extra flap on the "boost" to keep it orientated and the bridle goes beneath the left side flap. If you pull downwards, you'll have some resistance. Mainly because of the side flaps.
The 26lbs for the Skyhook were also in the worst possible direction. That's the fair way to compare ;)
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen