Sasan

3 ring problems?

Hey everyone!
I'm new to this sport (just posted an intro in the greetings forum), and I've spent a lottttt of time reading through the forums and articles in this forum. I've tried the search function:P And I cant seem to find the answer to this question:

Can you guys look at this video and tell me anything about what could be wrong with this cutaway?
[/url]http://unofficialnetworks.com/2014/06/watch-skydiver-saves-seconds-impact-terrifying-fall[url]

Attached is a picture of the unknown skydiver holding onto his left risers, presumably trying to pull himself up on them to release tension on the 3 rings?

I have several theories, and one is that this is an SOS type cutaway system, as it looks like he's trying to clear the cutaway cable from its housing?
My other theory comes from the fact that Bill Booth's original 3 rings were much larger, and perhaps there was an error in the manufacturing of this particular set of mini rings? Smaller rings, less room for error so to speak?
Anyways, I am sincerely curious as to the cause of this, as this is the first time I've heard of or seen in video a malfunction in what looks like the three rings, and there is nothing lodged in there.

Thank you, and as always,
Blue skies!

Sasan

Really weird to pull (metal) release housings off of a harness. I wonder if they were properly sewn on to begin with?????

I would not worry too much about mini 3-Rings being built out of tolerance. In 1993, the Parachute Industry Association suggested reinforcing the bottom (of mini 3-Ring risers) with an extra layer of Type 3 tape.

In 1998, 3-Ring Incorporated published detailed instructions on how to build 3-Ring risers.

That means that the youngest mini riser in service should be less than 17 years old. ... and it should be built to modern tolerances.

Sasan

So it is an actual malfunction in the 3 rings?

As you'll see in the thread that's been linked to, it was a misrigging. Fairly easy to do, but very easy to catch if you get into the habit of looking. Gear checks save lives!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Thank you, and from what I've read and heard, gear checks do a great job at keeping people healthy (misrouted chest straps, etc) I saw a video of a well known BASE jumper and rig manufacturer who used one pilot chute for two separate rigs, and he forgot to switch the pilot chute to the rig he was about to use. During free fall, he grabbed for his pc and all he felt was bridle. He managed to deploy by pulling on his bridle, but I guess a gear check woulda helped B|
You're in the UK, right? I've heard you guys have flight line checks, or am I wrong?:P

Sasan

You're in the UK, right? I've heard you guys have flight line checks, or am I wrong?:P

Yes, in the UK we have flight line checks and the JM is responsible for ensuring that everyone on the manifest for that load has been checked (usually the checker signs next to the name of the person/people they checked). If you only have an A licence, whoever signs for you must also check that your AAD is switched on.
I have been on a load where more than one person missed their jump because the JM was not happy that they were properly equipped (A licence jumpers with no hook knives).
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

In North America, we are more casual about "flight-line checks." Instead we casually scan each other's gear. ON more the one occasion, I have yelled at guys "where is your cutaway handle?" as they walked towards the plane. They looked down to find it folded under their harness (MLW.)