bodypilot90

candidate for national director

I've decided to run for National Director. I feel the USPA has lost site of who it is here for. Later I will post my full platform but the basics are as follows:
1) make changing the repack cycle to 180 to 365 days at the top of the to do list
2) close down the GM's program. the uspa is about skydivers, let dzo's go to the PIA so we don't have to pay for it with our membership dues
3) the smaller the number of rules the better. No more stupid rules
I am open to discussion on other changes or direction the uspa needs to go
Bill Flynn

thats pretty vague, what're the stupid rules you are refering to?
I wouldnt mind doing a 180 cycle on repacks. but I also travel alot and my rig gets kicked around:( on the flight.
even if the rule was changed to 365 I would still do it every 6 months! just my preference.
I know you said you would post your full platform later, but those are my questions/comments on what you have posted thus far
Life's a bitch, and I'm her Pimp!
JT

http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100

Which rules do you feel are stupid?
Personally, I'm very happy with the BSR's as they stand - I don't feel that they limit my skydiving in any way. Behind each of them there is generally a history of death or injuries caused directly by the "rule" not being followed.
Good luck on your candidacy! I look forward to seeing the rest of your platform.
pull & flare,
lisa
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

ok give you a example. A good friend is a retired static line/aff jump master. Under the uspa rules he needs to have a coaches rating to jump with "off student status" skydivers. When I was starting out he jumped with me and never charged me. He's been in the sport longer than most DZO's.
2ed example. skydiver 2 has been doing demo's 15-20 years. never got his "d" now is unable to get a demo rating because he suffers from night blindness. This man has 5000 jumps. I do realize that he "might" be able to get a waiver. Just dosn't seem like USPA has look at what or who they might affect.
Bsr are not law, they are suggestions. I have no trouble with safety. What I don't want is a system like the UK has, holding your hand. We can and should look after each other, not big brother or the uspa.
As far as rigs go, I have a hard shell to put my rig in, I do a check everytime before I don my rig, before I get on the plane, and before leaving the plane. PD think's a year is good. And if the law is changed you can get it repack every weekend if you want. The repacking wears your canopy out. So by excessive repacks they are putting us in more danger. Student and rental gear should be left at 120 days because of the nature of use. I have seen skydivers store gear in trunks of cars, sheds, ect. I think maybe a little education would go a long way or maybe they don't care. I would be happy at 180 days but a annual repack cycle would be even better. After your rig leaves the loft, YOU need to make sure it's serviceable and safe. If not sure PLEASE ask someone who knows STA, Rigger
lets play safe and have fun
Bill

but a annual repack cycle would be even better.

Any thought of humidity in your reserve? if am correct one of the things done to the reserve is to hang it so it can dry itself.
Hey something that I would like is that the USPA puts the name of the instructor that gave the course to the student, something like scuba diving certificate cards. Not to bash instructors but there can be bad instructors and you want to know who was the instructor before you let the new one jump.
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

A good friend is a retired static line/aff jump master. Under the uspa rules he needs to have a coaches rating to jump with "off student status" skydivers.

If your friend is or was an AFF jumpmaster then, as I understand it from credible sources, he would be grandfathered in under the new rules. As strange as the rules may seem sometimes, there is no way he would not be allowed to jump with someone just off student status if he is qualified to jump with them as students. However, if this is true it would seem to be a serious problem with the new rating program.
Some input from an AFF-I would be helpful here.

We can and should look after each other, not big brother or the uspa.

I just wanted to add that I believe when the USPA looks after us or "tells" us what to do, it is in fact "us" or "we" that are doing it. That's why it's great that you're running for the office of National Director. You have the opportunity to affect changes which you feel are necessary to the sport. Much better than having the FAA look after us.
Good luck with your bid for National Director!
FallRate