skreamer

Steve Park's 1000th

Howdy everybody (that found the batty door to get in)

Thought I'd share this story with you. A friend (Steve Park) had been on 999 jumps for 3 weeks. The weather was always crappy and he didn't want to do a low lob for his 1000th, however he was getting pissed off at not being able to jump. So finally this Saturday he organizes a big way (Let load - 17 way), weather was good, we dirt-dived it, all set to go. However they were trying to break the world record for tandems at Hinton on Saturday, so they asked if we could rather do it on the first load Sunday morning. As a treat we would then get '15 000 (they got special permission from Air traffic control).

So, next morning we get geared up, dirt-dive it again quickly and walk down to the plane. We get to the plane and both pilots are shaking their heads - the hydraulics is phuqed and the Let is out of action for the day... >:(

Steve then decides to do his 1 000th from the Cessna, 5 of us (me, Steve, his wife Elaine, spindoctor and captainquim) then gear up and get in the Cessna to go to '10 000. The plan was the other 3 get out first, then Steve follows with his hand tube and I come out last. The other 3 would break off at '4 500, Steve would pull in place at '4 000, I'd film his deployment and then pull at '2 500. Well, that was the plan...

We got to '10 000, but couldn't see the ground, so Steve took us down to cloud base ('5 000). The dive plan for Steve's 1 000th was THEN, the other 3 do solos, Steve and I launch a 2-way and I film him pulling. So, I'm sitting hunched up in the tail, the other 3 lob out, Steve exits and I dive - as I dive my right ankle hits the door and I flip out. By the time I recover Steve's 1 000th jump has gone from being a 17 way to a 5 way to a 2 way to a solo.... :S

THEN he pulls and gets bad line-twists on his Extreme, has to chuck the tube and chop!!!:o Yep, for his 1 000th he got to do a solo and got a cutaway thrown in for good measure! :D

He made a nice stand-up landing in the square under his PD and even he was laughing at his luck. I think he is glad to now have it behind him cos it was just starting to become a pain in the arse to him!!

Will

Did my 1,000th last weekend, too. Got to the DZ and the King Air was down. Students and tandems ruled the day. I got a solo from 5500 feet. Big thrill was doing three 360 degrees rolls, one around each axis. It was even on a demo canopy as mine is still being relined. Could life get any better? Yeah, probably. Congrats, Steve.:P
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.