JasonNC

Suit, headgear, and altimeter

Looking for good suggestions for jumpsuit, helmet, and altimeter.

As for the jumpsuit something that would work in the tunnel and sky would be preferable but am willing to get two if absolutely necessary.

I prefer a full face helmet. I wear contacts and absolutely hate having to wear the goggles as tight as I do during my training.

Altimeter: Open to suggestions for this one. I like the ones I use as a student but have seen ones that keep logs of your jumps. Also open to digital.

I know there are may different opinions on gear but would like to hear what everyone chose and why.

Thanks for the input.

Az_au

Alti: Altimaster 2 Galaxy or similar

Helmet: I tried the contacts with goggles thing and popped a lens on a jump. Not too fun so now I'm using a Cookie G3 with glasses.

Do you get a lot of air inside the helmet with the G3? This or the Revolve are the ones I have been leaning towards?

JasonNC

***Alti: Altimaster 2 Galaxy or similar

Helmet: I tried the contacts with goggles thing and popped a lens on a jump. Not too fun so now I'm using a Cookie G3 with glasses.

Do you get a lot of air inside the helmet with the G3? This or the Revolve are the ones I have been leaning towards?

None at all in the G3s I have flown. But i have heard a few reports of air causing watery eyes with a Revolve when flown head down
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm about to order a pair of prescription Wiley X goggles. I've gone for these even though they are stupidly expensive because I have a very narrow face and so my options are often very limited. But I will also be wearing an open face as I will have a camera and the DZ I jump requires a cutaway system on the helmet. I haven't spoken tothe CCI about Brians video proposal for cut aways on full face helmets, but that requires a manual action to actally remove the helmet so may not be acceptable where I jump.
Rich M

Az_au

Alti: Altimaster 2 Galaxy or similar

No comment on helmets, but I agree with the Altimaster Galaxy. They are solid altimeters with a good track record, no batteries to go flat etc. When you get around to spending more on a digital, I'm sure you find that you still use the galaxy on occasion.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Jumpsuit: Can highly recommend a Tonysuits FF suit (well if you wanna get into FF of course ;-) ) got one, love it! Depending on weight if you're always on the fast side maybe consider getting a 620, otherwise a 619, not a 618

Helmet: if you wanna get a fullface, i prefer the g3 i only jump fullface and i love mine, great helmet overall

Altimeter: since you're pretty new to the sport, get an analogue altimeter first, don't rush with digitals, they are a lot harder to read in ff and there are enough other things to concentrate on

Blue Skies

Jumpsuit: it seems to me that good fit and selection of the correct materials are more important than brand. Be sure to get measured by someone with experience measuring for skydiving jumpsuits.

Helmets. [B]G3. (Look at the team photos from the USPA Nationals this week... Note how popular the G3 is!)

Altimeters:
If you prefer Analog: Galaxy by Alti2 is hard to beat on cost, durability, & utility. If you get a Galaxy...get the "glow the dark" version.

If you like digital: N3 is pricey, but very cool. (BEWARE: the N3Audio is an entirely different device which lacks a speaker or visual display of altitude)

The analog vs digital war is exhausting. It is entirely a personal preference matter. Even though I grew up with analog watches and clocks... I find the digital much easier to read both because the digits are BIG and easy to read and because I find that I have much less mental work to interpret what I see on the altimeter.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I always enjoy reading the responses to questions like yours...you are receiving some fairly good advice as far as 'top of the line' gear - but at your stage of involvement in the sport, you need to ask yourself if that's really what you need right now.

Depending on your goals & your financial situation, you just may want to consider going with some more 'basic' yet reliable gear & use the funds saved to gain more experience.

In the future, with more jumps & time in the sport you will have a better idea what works for YOU.

I'd agree with getting a good analog altimeter, that's something you will keep for years to come, even if you eventually opt for a digital you'll always have that as a back-up. Keep in mind that it's a delicate precision instrument & treat it as such... mine has over 30 years of use and still works perfectly.

As far as a helmet goes, you may be wiser to choose one of the less expensive 'basic' models to start with like the Benny or the ProTec. In actuality they are safer impact wise than many of the units 4-5 times their price, and starting out you will be banging it around a bit - let that one take the abuse & scratches etc. until you get the hang of avoiding things like that.

For a jumpsuit, I tend to recommend something along those lines as well...get a cheaper more basic suit - used if possible, until you get to where you're standing up 90% of your landings. Nice usable used jumpsuits are both in the classifieds & at most DZ's for 1/3 of what a new one costs or less.

If you put the 500-700 bucks you save going that way, into tunnel time & actual skydiving (possible coaching)...you will be much more likely to be able to select the actual equipment that will serve you best as a frequent & accomplished participant.

There is tons of slightly used gear on the market which was purchased by n00bs who had the best intentions but didn't know what they really wanted. They fell into the 'pretty new gear' syndrome and didn't spend wisely in their exuberance for the sport & wanting to 'fit in' with the latest trend.

Now they are selling it off at considerable loss because they are more in tune with what they need, what works for their style & type of jumping they're going to actually do.

Of course it's your money - do whatever makes you feel good...just keep in mind that what 'makes' a skydiver is the skills gained from experience skydiving & not matching colors.
;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~