TomAiello

Bridge Day Registration

I don't know if any of you guys care, but Bridge Day 2002 registration begins 7/1/02. If you want to go to Bridge Day this year, you should wander over to:

http://www.bridgeday.info/

and register (button in upper left corner) as soon after 7/1 as possible.

They're cutting off registration at 400 jumpers this year, which is less than in previous years. Plus, the on-line registration is first come, first serve, so spots could go pretty fast.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I just sent the following email to Jim and Marta Pouchet:

I saw on the website you'll be doing social security number and passport checks.

Not a problem.

However, visiting Canadians will have neither a social or a passport, since Canadians don't need passports to travel to the US. Have you discussed this with the sherrif?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

:) Man, that looks kick ass!!! I wish I could go!!! I really really really want to try that! It didn't say how much it was to go? Do you know how much it is? $$$$$
I've talked to a BASE jumper at my DZ a few times and he keeps telling me to go to Bridge Day.... I want to go sooooo bad.

BooYa#1
GR#50
You might be a skydiver if... Your having sex and she whispers in your ear "I've never done this before" and you yell out "Case of Beer"

To the best of my knowledge, they'll still require passports of Canadian citizens for the security check. If you contact them in advance, they might allow you to get by with your Canadian drivers license.

I've had the best luck getting information about the (rather confused) new organization from Jason Bell ([email protected]). That may be because he's actually in West Virginia meeting with the Sheriff, or it might just be my personal relationship with him is getting my questions priority status. I'll see if I can ask him about Canadians with no passports, though.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

What are they thinking though? Someone is going to jump off and try and fly themselves into a bridge piling? :D

It's a whole 9/11 terrorist scare thing. They cancelled it altogether last year, and now it's this huge deal where the IPBC guys who have been running it the last 10 years or so bailed because the security hassles were so bad.

Anyway, they got some pretty good folks to run it, so hopefully it'll get re-started pretty well again--it's a heck of a party.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hey Tom, I sent you an email!! Any info you want to share would be great! Thanks man, you Rock!

BooYa#1
GR#50
You might be a skydiver if... Your having sex and she whispers in your ear "I've never done this before" and you yell out "Case of Beer"

It's a whole 9/11 terrorist scare thing

Yeah...I can see that...but as a quasi "security expert" I fail to see the reasoning in screening the JUMPERS so closely. I can see a threat with a large crowd gathered on a bridge as a potential target but I don't think anyone needs to register to jump just to get on to the bridge do they?

>Yeah...I can see that...but as a quasi "security expert" I fail to see
> the reasoning in screening the JUMPERS so closely.

When Andy was organizing bridge day, he went to a planning meeting where someone was discussing possible terrorism (this was around 94 or so.) Some of the townspeople were getting a little paranoid. At one point someone said "Suppose someone rammed one of the piers? The bridge could collapse and kill tens of thousands of people!"

"We'd be OK," said Andy, in a low voice. Several people heard him and were not amused.

http://people.qualcomm.com/billvon/faqs/bd02.html

Thanks Bill, nice page full of info!!!

BooYa#1
GR#50