A12

Newbie Questions...

I just have a couple questions:

1. Can someone explain the ratios associated with mains?

2. What does RW stand for? I understand what it is, but just curious about the exact name.

I think thats it for now...I am sure I'll have more questions the more I become involved with the sport.

Thanks!
If you want to fly, get out of the plane!

My Homepage
My Blogger

Hell, I can answer these.

Wing loading is pounds per square foot. Thus, if you weigh 150 with gear, and you're jumping a 150 square foot canopy, you're loading it at 1:1.

RW = relative work, where people fly belly-to-earth and build various formations. Here are some pics!
Skydiving is for cool people only

Actually it seems to me that RW can be expanded upon a bit. It is not just belly flyers. It is anytime 2 or more skydivers or canopy pilots build formations or work in close proximity. If it is canopies then it is Canopy Relative Work (CReW), freeflyers often to vertical Relative Work (vRW).
Jessica also mentioned wing loading ratios. That is the most common ratio talked about with canopies but aspect ratio is also worth understanding. It is the relationship of the cord to the span of a canopy (length to width).
Brian

Aspect ratio is important, but only if you understand what is is and how changing the aspect ratio affects canopies and their flight.

As most newbies are only concerned about what type of gear to lok at, wingloading is the most important ratio to understand. For REALLY good reading on this topic look herehttp://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/wingload.pdf

This page http://www.performancedesigns.com/education.asp will help enlighten most canopy pilots if they take the time to read, think about and understand all the information being presented.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com