kevin922

Balloon Jump Question

This question is for people who might know the operations of a hot air balloon, i'm sure Billvon will probably be able to answer this. At any rate, what all does a balloon pilot have to do to take off (rules wise?) -- can they just go set up shop anywhere they want as long as it is far away from airports and whatnot?

My next question is, what does it take when someone is jumping from the balloon? I.e. can I go hunt down a balloon pilot and pay them or bribe them in some way to jump from their balloon?

Just curious :ph34r:

what all does a balloon pilot have to do to take off

Ummm...fire up the burner. ;) Seriously, balloons fall under normal VFR flight rules as far as I know. There may be some certain restricitons for Class B airspace. I'm not sure exactly how that works.

can I go hunt down a balloon pilot and pay them or bribe them in some way to jump from their balloon?

Yes....there are no special requirements. Technically I would guess that you are supposed to file a NOTAM for where ever you are going to be jumping. However, thats kind of hard to do since you won't really know that until you are airborne and find a suitable spot. "Hmm...that looks like a nice field. 3-2-1 C'YA!!!!"

can I go hunt down a balloon pilot and pay them or bribe them in some way to jump from their balloon?

I wouldn't jump from a balloon if the pilot hadn't taken jumpers up before, or at least have an experienced balloon jumper on hand to brief the pilot first. If I remember correctly, the balloon needs to be in a descent when the jumper(s) exit - when you leave it's like a bunch of ballast being thrown out; if the balloon isn't descending when you leave it will pop way up.

Might want to get permission to land from land owners under where you'll likely be jumping too.

Yeah, to do it legally, the pilot has to be in radio contact with ATC and has to have called ahead of time with the location and all that. I'm guesing those steps have been skipped before. If you are going to pay the pilot, he's gotta be a commercial balloon pilot. You don't really need to care about the pilot's experience. All you're doing is jumping. He better know what he's doing for his own safety though. I think balloons can be damaged by very quick ascents, which is why they start off in a descent.

Dave

>If I remember correctly, the balloon needs to be in a descent
>when the jumper(s) exit - when you leave it's like a bunch of
>ballast being thrown out; if the balloon isn't descending when
>you leave it will pop way up.

Yeah, but not all pilots seem to mind... You did read the article about the mass balloon jump, didn't you? It was at a site called "dropzone.com":P

Erno