Ron

1978 GQ security 250 pilot rigs

I have a line on two brand new looking security 250's.
They were made in 1978, but look new.

I know the 350 had an acid mesh issue. And I know the 350's on had a life span listed in the manual of 10 years with a 5 year option after factory inspection.

So my question is this.... I don't think the 250's are impacted by these two issues. Am I wrong?

Serial numbers: 10028; 10691.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I don't have it in front of me so I can't answer you're specific question. But it might be moot depending on how you want to look at the life span issue. It's a question of whether you believe the current incarnation of the company can retroactively apply there current limitations to designs that were previously certified with out a life span limitation. It's a hot button issue. Althoue I'm not a fan of the idea I think they should be able to have that power. If they determin that there is detereration over time and they are getting old I beleve they have the right to declare it un airworthy. I'm not wild about it. I feel people are trying to do this arbitrarily to try to limit their liability. I beleave it should be a question of condition. And there has been a statement but even if you are cool with the FAA do you really want to be trying to explane this in a civil court?

Just saying, a lot of people wont pack them.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

1978 was before the acid mesh problem ... no worries there.

The primary reason GQ Security and GQ Defense "lifed" their gear was to ground all the canopies suspected of acid mesh (mostly SACs).
It was also an attempt to limit their liability if some-one got hurt jumping a faded, frayed and filthy old parachute ... again not a problem with your prospective purchase.

As for people whining about whether or not manufacturers should be allowed to retroactively assign "lives" to parachutes that they made ... if they discover a problem (e.g. acid mesh) they would be negligent not to "life" gear.
OTOH most pilot emergency parachutes more than twenty years old are faded, frayed and filthy and should be retired. It is only the rare "closet queens" that can safely be kept in service.

Dokeman

anybody got any info on the 350? basically I have a closet queen.

Security 350 is mostly the same as Security 150 and 250 HOWEVER, your 350 probably contains a Security Aero-Conical canopy that was mentioned in the acid mesh recalls.
Washing them was strictly a short-term solution (pun intended), because the long-term solution was always to replace them with canopies not mentioned in the acid mesh recalls (Butler, Free Flight Enterprises, North American Aerodynamics, Strong Enterprises, etc.). You could return those 350 containers to service if you installed non-acidic canopies.

masterrigger1

Simply remove the lines and re-sew the three point WW.

MEL

...................................................................................

Sounds like the questioner is not a Master Rigger with a Class 7 sewing machine (5 cord).

I have done that modification to a dozen Security 350s, replacing their acidic SACs with non-acidic canopies (made by Butler, Free Flight Enterprises, North American Aerodynamics, Strong Enterprises, etc.)

masterrigger1

Simply remove the lines and re-sew the three point WW.

MEL

...................................................................................

Sounds like the questioner is not a Master Rigger with a Class 7 sewing machine (5 cord).

I have done that modification to a dozen Security 350s, replacing their acidic SACs with non-acidic canopies (made by Butler, Free Flight Enterprises, North American Aerodynamics, Strong Enterprises, etc.)

Hi Ron,

Just going from memory here, but I think this:

150 = Security 26 ft Lo-Po, Low Speed designation; block constructed canopy

250 = Security 26 ft Lo-Po, Standard designation, bias constructed canopy

350 = Security AeroConical ( SAC )

I think that only the SAC had the mesh in the steering holes.

JerryBaumchen

PS) IMO opinion, since the FAA has issued a letter on the life-span, it is a dead isssue for any gear from those days.