drenaline

Whuffos are funny! top ten Q's

The one you are looking for is http://www.afn.org/skydive/faq/faq.html

An Example:

"How do you breathe in freefall?"
and other Whuffo Questions.

"How do you breath in freefall?"
Through genetically developed gills.
This falls into the realm of urban folklore. One CAN breathe in freefall - if it were necessary. However, due to the high speed of terminal freefall (and much higher speeds in vertical freefall dives), the jumper's body is exposed to O2 molecules at a much higher rate than someone walking around on the ground. The body is able to absorb the necessary O2 through the skin. This is why jumpers flap their cheeks in freefall, it presents a larger surface area to the airstream for oxygen osmosis. Once under canopy, the jumper resumes breathing normally.
This is also why jumpers do not jump on cloudy days or when they might risk going through clouds. The moisture in the clouds can condense on their exposed skin surfaces preventing the absorption of the necessary oxygen resulting in suffocation. AADs are recommended for jumpers in climates where weather is a factor.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

here is an oldie but a goodie i heard yesterday at a job interview ! : you jump out of a perfectly good airplane? i said have you seen all the ducktape on the plane? i wouldnt call it perfectly good !

Not your typical Whuffos:
So I'm out working with a field crew not too long ago and word got out I skydive. One of the mechanics comes up to me and says:
"So I hear your a skydiver"
Me: "Yup"
"Now, why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane?"
I reminded him "You know, there's no such thing as a PERFECTLY good airplane"
He really didn't say anything in reply. As a mechanic himself I think he understood.

Being the smart crew they were for the rest of the job they kept saying "Why would anyone jump from a SAFE airplane?"
I generally didn't have a good reply only "it's fun".

Being the smart crew they were for the rest of the job they kept saying "Why would anyone jump from a SAFE airplane?"

I use a reply I saw here when I first started lurking. With a totally straight face say, 'Because I don't get much freefall from the top of the fridge.':D

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

here is an oldie but a goodie i heard yesterday at a job interview ! : you jump out of a perfectly good airplane? i said have you seen all the ducktape on the plane? i wouldnt call it perfectly good ! ;)

at our dz we promptly correct the offending party with... you mean a perfectly servicable airplane.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

your typical Whuffos:
So I'm out working with a field crew not too long ago and word got out I skydive. One of the mechanics comes up to me and says:
"So I hear your a skydiver"
Me: "Yup"
"Now, why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane?"
I reminded him "You know, there's no such thing as a PERFECTLY good airplane"
He really didn't say anything in reply. As a mechanic himself I think he understood.

My answer to that is usually "Why would you stay in one with a perfectly functional door?"

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I agree.

Sorry you didn't hear the tongue in my cheek.;)
I was just relating it to this whuffo question thread. IMHO they (FOJ v.s. Skydiving) are two different animals. Just because I skydive does not in anyway qualify me to run out and make a BASE jump. Whuffos tend to think otherwise though. I use this football v.s. hockey example whenever I answer their BASE questions. Explanation is two different sports even though they share the same type of equipment. :)
~Aloha~ Mr. Hand