Deuce

Have you ever done a tandem?

I have 4 tandems...the first one was a currency jump for an instructor and i had like 200 jumps, the next 3 (jumps 494-496)were actually only like 2 weeks ago for people at my dz that needed some victoms..uhh passengers...to get their ratings. Nothing exciting but i'll do it again if my friends need me to :)

:)
Blue Skies!
Mary B
Sandillas Rodriguez
Muff Brother #2959 TF #77

This is just me . . . I am not trying to influence anyone, just sharing my opinion - I certainly respect yours if you don't like being on the front of a tandem.

I have made numerous tandem jumps in the student position. I still do from time to time to get friends current. My first jump on a Sigma Tandem Rig was on the front, and I got a great appreciation for how great the new Sigma Student harness is. I last rode on the front this Spring . . . for me it makes me a better Tandem Master.

Now, the caveat . . . I will only ride on the front for someone I have trust and confidence in. I don't need to know them necessarily, but they get to demostrate to me a level of responsibility and proficiency in what they are about to do before I will commit.

Great topic!
Arrive Safely

John

I had a 2 year stint between going from a SL student to an AFF student. My last SL jump was a 15 second delay, but I didn't have the time to actually look at my alt during the jump. I was busy getting off my back and deploying.

So before I went AFF at the new dropzone I decided to do to a tandem to make sure I had altitude awareness. I had never actually used my hand altimeter in freefall and it may sound silly, but I wanted to know I'd be able to see it properly before making any dives that I'd have to really use it on.

It also gave me a chance to relax and make sure I was mentally back into the sport. Was I going to be as tight as I was during my early SL jumps or more loose like my later ones?

I think tandems are a real useful training tool and after making one I'd definately recommend them to my friends if they were at all interested in trying out skydiving.

i did 3 before starting my IAF. but i have heard of people who have never done a tandem..

No shit, do such people really exist? :)
I've done maybe 10 helping trusted friends get current, ranging from a couple of 6k diving exits from Cessnas to one where I spent so much time wondering when the SET was going to open that I entirely missed seeing the Otter swooping us.

HW